Nwiki and Creole parsers in Moodle 2.0

Nwiki and Creole parsers in Moodle 2.0

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Would someone please explain these to me? I see them as options alongside HTML-I see they have a different text edting toolba from the HTML TinyMCE (but both the same) and I can't see how they are different from each other and what their advantages are. I haven't used wikis much so am a bit stuck!wink
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Nwiki and Creole parsers in Moodle 2.0

by Mark Drechsler -
Hey Mary,

I'm not sure either, but I'll be requesting that they are disabled at site-wide level unless I can find a valid use for having them in addition to HTML format. Anyone?

Cheers!

Mark.
In reply to Mark Drechsler

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mary and Mark,

Nwiki format is the Mediawiki-like markup language used in the contributed Nwiki module. Creole is a common wiki markup language used in other wikis such as TiddlyWiki and MoinMoin (see Creole format for syntax examples).

Mark, as far as I know, it's not possible in the Moodle UI to disable these wiki formats site-wide.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Mike Stapleton -

I read the posts and the linked docs but still not sure what the actual differences are between the Creole and nWiki formats. I created a sample Wiki in each and could not see a physical difference. Menus at top seemed to be identical.

Is it more of a code behind the scenes thing that only an Admin would be concerned about?

Since I am currently the Admin and the Course Creator and will be creating quite a few courses soon I would like to select one and then ask others to stick with the same format. If they are pretty much the same then my primary criteria would probably be "Which is the most stable and compatible with Moodle 2.0"?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Nelson Cartagena -

As I understand it, the creator of a Wiki can "force format" to disable unwanted formats to appear.   I have not tested this extensively though...

Edit the settings of the Wiki. Set the Default format to what you want and/or Force format if needed. Here is what you are looking for:

Wiki Settings

In reply to Mark Drechsler

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Mark,
since the parser (HTML, nwiki, creole ) are chosen by the teacher when setting up the wiki activity makes no sense to constraint them sitewide. Let the teacher decide (speaking as teacher wink )
Cheers
L.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Clare Wallace -

Mary! Thank you for posting this questionbig grin was just about to do the same myself.....will now proceed to learn how to do it! Did you manage it....is it better than OU wiki (which I was very fond of!)

Clare

In reply to Clare Wallace

by Andrea Hall -

Is there an answer to Mary's question?

In reply to Andrea Hall

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

Hello All

I know this post has been posted a year ago. But i wanna know whether you all got the answer or not