The "Settings" block position for individual resources & activities

The "Settings" block position for individual resources & activities

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

using Moodle Preview 4.

I'm finding it difficult to understand the positioning behavior of the Settings block in a moodle course. I'm logged in as teacher, and using the standard theme to avoid behavior problems due to other themes.

When I enter my course, I can place the Settings/Course administration block in the right "column"/region, at the top, which is where I want all of my Settings blocks to always display.

I click Turn editing on

I click on the Update icon of one of my previously created Resources or Activities, e.g. a Glossary... the Settings/Glossary Administration is now displayed in the left column.sad

I try to move it, by clicking the Move icon but... the only small frames which show where I could drop the block are all located in the left column, none on the right.angry

I click on that block's Configuration icon, and I see:

Configuring a Settings block

• Block settings
  • Where this block appears
    • Page contexts
    • Display throughout the entire site
    • Restrict to these page types
    • * (Any page)
    • Default region
    • Right
    • Default weight -10 (first)

-------------

• On this page
    • Visible
    • Region Right
    • Weight -10

------------

The only settings that I can change as teacher are the On this page settings. But those settings already indicate that my block should be displayed on the right, which it isn't!

OK, now I switch Editing mode off, and I click on a resource, e.g. on the Glossary link in my course, surprise... now the Settings/Glossary Administration is displayed in the right column.surprise

-----------

Question 1: is there a bug with the location of the Settinngs block when clicking on the Update icon associated with each resource & activity?

Question 2: I thought one strong point of Moodle 2 was that it would be possible to put the blocks anywhere (including in the middle column, but I've no idea if this is possible); here it appears that it's not possible to move the Settings block to the right (at least it's not always possible).

Maybe this is dependent on a general admin setting?

Joseph clown

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: The "Settings" block position for individual resources & activities

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Joseph
Well yes, I see what you mean and I am confused - I will test some more too
As far as I know the only places where you can move blocks into the centre are the MyMoodle page and profile page.