Using MathType with Moodle

Using MathType with Moodle

by Bob Mathews -
Number of replies: 4
Hi,

I know many of you use MathType with Moodle. We have a lot of ideas about possible new features for MathType, but we want to get your feedback as well. Let us know your opinion or if you think there is a feature we missed. What could we add to or change about MathType that would make your job easier?

Here's our page showing how to use MathType with Moodle. Is there anything we should add to this page? Anything in the existing page that's unclear?

Thanks for your help & feedback.

Bob Mathews
Design Science
bobm@dessci.com
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Mathews

Re: Using MathType with Moodle

by venkatesan iyengar -
Mathews,

Great piece and very good in v6.6. What I have suggested my teachers is to copy and rename Texvc (Physics Forum).tdl to Moodle_Site.tdl (in translators folder) and change var/"BeginMathDisplay", var/"BeginMathInline" , var/"EndMathDisplay", var/"EndMathInline" = accordingly to read jsmath or TexFilter and then enable "Equation for application or website" in Cut and Copy Preferences. It works great.

venkatesan
In reply to venkatesan iyengar

by Bob Mathews -
Excellent, Venkatesan! Thanks for the feedback.
In reply to venkatesan iyengar

by Bob Mathews -
Actually Venkatesan, I do have one question -- when you say you adapted the MathType translator "to read jsmath", you really mean "produce equations from MathType that jsmath can render properly", right?

Bob
In reply to Bob Mathews

by Bob Mathews -
For those of you using MathType, I wanted to let you know that our latest version of MathType -- version 6.7 for Windows -- was just released in English, French, and German versions. One of the hot new features of MathType 6.7 is a translator that converts MathType equations into the exact format to use with Moodle's TeX filter -- dollar signs, braces, and all. Just select the translator, copy the equation from MathType, and paste into Moodle. We have full instructions on our website showing how to use it, with examples of using it in Moodle quiz and chat modules.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)