Findings of updating to moodle 2.0

Findings of updating to moodle 2.0

by tim larcombe -
Number of replies: 3
Not sure how helpful this will be but I though I would post this just in case. We have been trying to update to moodle 2.0 and have been having lots of issues, some of which I have already posted here.

My ict administrator has spend hours going through the database, which we discovered had some interesting issues such as language settings not being correct. If you want to know more about this I will have to get him to post more details as it went straight over my head.

He has spent a lot of time going through the database and sorting this out and deleting as many contributed modules as he can find. Removing the contributed modules has helped and each time we get a bit further. (there is still more to do so if it helps I will keep people updated on this)

We have tried it against an install from scratch that work perfectly!!
Even upgrading between 1.9x versions works perfectly!!
we have upgraded everything we can think of to the latest version.

from our exploration and discoveries so far he believes that to get this to fully update we are going to need to try and make sure the databases match. So any non standard modules will need to be removed!!. This will be a big pain.

Has anyone else found anything similar?? I really hope we are wrong as this will be a huge undertaking as we only have one person to attempt to do this.

I don't understand the programming side of moodle so can not offer any suggestions. I am aware that version 2.0 is a massive rewrite but it seems odd to me there would be such an issue updating.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to tim larcombe

Re: Findings of updating to moodle 2.0

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Tim -no; I don't understand the programming side of it either but I do know that
* language stuff is very different in Moodle 2.0
* all non standard modules have to be rewritten to work with Moodle 2.0 so you wouldn't have been able to get them to work by default -not a suprise that one.
* I think the issues updating are to do with the fact that it IS such a massive rewrite
In reply to tim larcombe

by Clarence Prudhoe -
Hi Tim,

We may be a little pre-mature in expecting Moodle 2 to upgrade cleanly. They still have a lot of work to do on it.

In any event, you have to remove the non-standard modules and blocks form your database to upgrade it to Moodle 2. You can do this by creating a copy of your database and then using Moodle 1.9x to remove (delete) the non-standard components from the copy. Then upgrade the clean copy to Moodle 2.0.

This is how I removed the non-standard modules and blocks from my database. This is easy if you have cPanel on your server and you are using MySQL. But it can be done other ways with other database types.

Here are the steps if you have cPanel and are using MySQL.
  1. Make a backup copy of your 1.9x database using cPanel Backup. It will be named yourdata.sql.gz
  2. Change the name of the backup file to something like "moodle2db.sql.gz"
  3. From Cpanel/Backup, RESTORE moodle2db.sql.gz
  4. This will create a new database named moodle2db
  5. In your Moodle 1.9x config.php file, change the name of your database to moodle2db. Be sure the username and password are correct for the new database.
  6. Open your Moodle 1.9x install and from Administration/modules/activities/manage activities/, find all non-standard modules and delete them.
  7. From Administration/modules/blocks/manage blocks/ , find all non-standard blocks and delete them.
  8. This will clean out most of the non-standard module and block references from your database.
  9. Then, using phpMyAdmin, you can search the moodle2db database for any remaining references to the deleted modules and blocks. It is a little time consuming, but you can now finish the cleanup of your database.
  10. Open the latest version of Moodle 2.0 and copy your config.php file into the new install. You will also have to edit the root directory in the Moodle 2 config.php file to point to your Moodle 2.0 installation folder.
  11. Don't forget to change your 1.9x config.php file back to your 1.9x database name.
This worked for me and I was able to get a clean (no errors) conversion of my data to Moodle 2.0 v. 3. I still have some issues in using my data in Moodle 2.0, but Martin and the development team are aware of them and I expect future versions will fix these problems.

Hope this helps.
Clarence
In reply to Clarence Prudhoe

by tim larcombe -
Thank you for your help!!

I was not clear in some points !! the lang issue was only in our database I think!! i have a feeling it was poorly set up originally!!

I will try the suggestions and see what happens

Moodle 2.0 does seem so much better!! and I am looking forward to future updates!!