Moodle performance very slow

Moodle performance very slow

by Globe College -
Number of replies: 9
Hello,

Our organization is new to Moodle and we have a major question -

Our moodle (http://mygbcm.globe-college.com) seems to run VERY slow - and we only have a total of 4 users created for the time being. We're not quite sure what statistics to post, but could certainly go through and post whatever info someone needs that may be able to help us out. We just tried completely deleting moodle off our server and reuploading it (we're in the process of getting everything recreated now) and it's still running just as slow.

Would this be our website host? Any suggestions on how we could speed this up?? We have been logging into our partner university's site for quite some time (moodle.gcd.ie/) and their site works light-years faster than ours (and they have many more students/lecturers/courses loaded).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Globe College

Odp: Moodle performance very slow

by Bartosz Cisek -

It would be easier if you answer a few questions smile
  1. Shared / dedicated hosting?
  2. Linux/Windows? Which distro?
  3. RAM size?
  4. CPU speed?
  5. HDD? How many? RPM?
  6. DB? Which one? MySQL?
  7. Do you have monitoring system?
In reply to Bartosz Cisek

Re: Odp: Moodle performance very slow

by Globe College -
Okay, well I will try to answer these questions as best as I can - though I'm not 100% on all of the answers...

'm actually not sure what we have...we have no problems with any of our other websites, but as we don't have a server here, I am assuming it is shared. Our host is www.strato.de, where we are allowed unlimited traffic to our site.

We are using windows here and downloaded the beginner pack 1.9

The thing about computer RAM size is, we've also tried this on various computers outside of our network and it works just as slow. We have 3000 MB of space on our website and are using 160...so we have quite a bit of space to play with on the site.

We're maintaining the site with MySQL - here is our question there: should we have a folder in the databank called "moodle," as right now all of the files are just in the databank itself. In the setup instructions, it called for creating a databank and labeling it moodle, but we didn't have the option of creating a name.

We don't have a monitoring system...we just know that moodle shouldn't be operating this slow....

I know that I didn't give you much to work with but perhaps that little bit of information was enough...

Thanks so much for your help!

by Globe College -
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated....as we have 3 users on moodle and it is taking up to 30 seconds for a page to even respond and really don't know what to do.

Perhaps we did the installation wrong? On our site we created a folder where we extracted everything and then as well made a moodledata folder. then once everything was loaded, we went through the installation instructions. We created a databank within our server using MySQL (although weren't able to rename it and had to use the username and database name given there) and then that was it.

Have we missed a step??

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Unless anyone thinks of something obvious that could cause this, with your current level of expertise it's probably going to be difficult to solve this problem - perhaps it would be worth hiring a Moodle Partner to assist you in choosing a suitable host and/or configuration, or even trying a hosted Moodle solution?

If you can't afford that, a cheaper alternative might be to simply try a different shared host (with some offering very low monthly prices, you could just buy a month then chuck it if it doesn't work faster). Maybe there is something with the setup of this one that is causing problems. I think Moodle is a bit heavy to run on a shared server, but it shouldn't be too heavy when there are only 3 users...

--sam
In reply to sam marshall

by Globe College -
Hi Sam,

Just replied in another reply that we might be interested in hiring a Moodle Partner...have to look into this more.

Have also mailed our host provider and asked a few questions. If all else fails, there is the option of buying server space from them - would just have to do a bit of research into it.

Thanks for your help!

Odp: Re: Odp: Moodle performance very slow

by Bartosz Cisek -
Hi,

As you said, it isn't much to work with. It looks like you have shared hosting without access to system configuration.

I've checked and you have *nix with Apache out there. But without admin access it doesn't matter.

I was asking about monitoring system that gathers system data (cpu load, RAM usage, number of DB transactions per/s, etc). Munin is one of examples. It helps pinpointing bottlenecks. Again, in your case, either you wouldn't be able to install it or use gathered data.

One thing you can do is switch on: Admin->server->debugging->Performance info. It will give you some idea about page generation time, and used resources.

Then try to contact your hosting provider and ask 'why so slow?' (:

Our company provide specialized Moodle hosting, so if you are interested it also might be an option. I'm sure you would be satisfied (:

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Moodle performance very slow

by Globe College -
Thanks for the reply. I know it wasn't much to work with...

Have turned on the performance info and got the following results for one instance:

20.211566 secs
RAM: 19.4MB
RAM peak: 19.5MB
Included 191 files
ticks: 2022 user: 634 sys: 443 cuser: 0 csys: 0
Record cache hit/miss ratio : 0/0

also have sent a message to the hosting provider. If they don't come back with some answers, perhaps we will come to your company smile

Thanks so much for your help!

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Moodle performance very slow

by Bartosz Cisek -
Hi,

20s is definitely too long, and RAM consumption is higher than it should be. Lets wait for their reply.

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Moodle performance very slow

by hostmaked gmail -

Hi there!

Have the same problem with 1.9.9+. Very slow perfomance of system. I was testing it on WinXP Pro SP3 with Vertrigo Server, on shared hosting with linux+apache - the situation is the same - from 1.8.x to 1.9.x - all of them are very slow.

Regadrs,

Alexander.