Interview

Interview

by Thomas Gruber -
Number of replies: 3
I have my very first interview at a school district for a teaching position on Tuesday, any suggestions or pointers?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Gruber

Re: Interview

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Don't make stuff up. If asked, discuss your achievements. Do not answer any question with a question, unless it is seriously personal. Consider your answers, keep them brief and to the point, do not wander or try to sidetrack discussion. When you start, and it is appropriate to do so, tell them you appreciate the panel, or person, giving up their valuable time to meet with you. When ending make a comment about getting a fair hearing and thank them for that. Above all, relax and appear confident. Do not try and gloss over something, if you are not sure, do not be afraid to say so but add the rider, "..today, but if it is something that is ongoing, then I can adapt/learn. Always willing to extend myself."

Do you know your subject materials? Are you willing to meet new challenges? Are you willing to extend yourself into other areas of school life? What sort of relations do you think you can build with all the students in your classes, and their parents - even the nightmares? If you can answer these questions in good faith and confidently, then you will have a good chance.

OK, all that is good, but also bear in mind the other question, "What can I learn from this interview I can take with me to the next?" Be open to learning from everywhere, at all times, even pretentious, pompous, arrogant panellists or interviewers. If you miss this one, then there will be another, and another. Never get the idea that you are not good enough to be there, if you got an interview then you certainly are.

As it is your first interview, you could blow it by not meeting someone's eye or falling over the chair out of sheer nervousness or even parting your hair in the wrong direction. Who knows why one person is selected over another - but chances are the interview plays a large part in that so hone your interview techniques every opportunity you get.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Rey Benedict Alonso -
Look presentable in your interview. during the interview you should sell yourself to the employer. Yes it's true that you'll learn in every interview that you have attended so try to familiarize the commonly asked questions so that the next time you'll be having an interview you can practice and prepare yourself with the commonly asked questions.

In reply to Thomas Gruber

by ben reynolds -
I love middle schoolers. In fact, they're our biggest group.

I also interview loads of potential instructors for online positions, but before that, for our intensive 3-week summer residential programs.

All the above advice listen to. In addition:

1. Always write a thank you note to everyone concerned when the interview is over.
2. Always do your homework. Learn everything humanly possible about the school/district. This is the #2 reason we don't hire people. If they can't be bothered to know what "CTY" stands for or how we identify gifted kids, we can't be bothered to teach them. Analogous situation with any other institution.
3. While Colin is right that you never answer a question with a question, come prepared with questions to ask. And, if you aren't invited to ask questions, you probably don't want to work there.
4. Look for a strong support system. Not a toss-the-newb-into-the-pool approach, but some kind of organized mentoring and monitoring system for newbs.
5. If you get to take a tour during classtime, ask to take a stroll past the classrooms of the newest hires. You don't need to go in. Just need to look through the window to get the feel of how the newb is doing.