Is "Turn editing on" button missing?

Is "Turn editing on" button missing?

by Daniele Cordella -
Number of replies: 17
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
I am sorry for this so silly question, but I feel it important.
Why does, in moodle 2, the "Turn editing on" button is missing from the front page?
Please tell me this is not true!!!!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniele Cordella

Re: Is "Turn editing on" button missing?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I don't know why the button is missingsmile It doesn't matter as you can still edit from the front page settings but it's a fair question as you have the editing button within the courses, so why not the front page?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think the point is that Turn editing on/off is always an option in the settings block. So use that.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Daniele Cordella -
Ciao Tim.
You may be right but the "Turn editing on/off" button, IMHO, should be everywhere or nowhere. Here but not there is not a good policy.

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ciao Daniele,

the button has been replaced with the link in the Settings block as Tim noticed above. The fact that the button still appears at some pages is actually a bug, caused by legacy code.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Daniele Cordella -
This make sense!
Ok, looking forward for removing it from all other pages!!!

Thanks David!
In reply to David Mudrák

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Well, actually not necessarily ... I was going to remove it but I wonder if it isn't important enough to stay on course pages - to give new teachers a hint on how to start editing stuff. I had actually been planning to leave it as it is. The front page is less important, admins can figure that out more easily.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes - I vote for leave it (please) Many teachers will be moving up from 1.9 to 2.0 and at least if they still have the familiar turn editing on button then they won't lose hope completely before they beginbig grin
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gavin Henrick -
Picture of Plugin developers
I agree with Mary.

In fact its an issue I would like to address in a seperate post, about the changes in navigation, as I think the current default will have people lost as its such a big change.

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Andrea Bicciolo -
In my opinion, If we want to keep the interface consistent, we should select to leave the "Turn editing on" button on course and front page, or remove it form both.
In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I agree with Rolando. My vote for keeping the Turn editing on button on course pages and removing it from the Front page.

Joseph

In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by Michael Wallace -

Hi, I'm new to the forums, but have used Moodle for about a year now.

I suggest, make it a 2 choice checkbox option:

1. Button on Front Page
  2. Button on Course menus

[default is both checked]

I mean, this isn't Clippy from Microsoft, which everyone hated (well some hated).  This is a very well liked feature.

cool

In reply to Michael Wallace

by Marc Couture -

I know this is an older thread, but I still can't figure out why the decision was made to remove the edit mode button and ask users to scroll down and go to Settings to turn it on or off.  From an ergonomic standpoint, having a previously fixed function constantly move up and down the screen (as the navigation block displays a variable number of items in its menus) is counter-productive.  Even more so when editing content pages.
Is there a way to modify a standard 2.x theme to include the button?

In reply to Marc Couture

by Rebecca Trynes -

I very much agree - When looking at the code in Firebug, I notice that the navbutton div is still there, but greyed out. Is there any override renderers I can use to turn this back on?! Or something I can add to a layout php file? Like general.php?! I want that button on all the course pages, not just that first page.

In reply to Rebecca Trynes

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What theme are you using? What pages do you not see the button on?

I have the turn editing on button on my theme in my course pages

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Rebecca Trynes -

I have it on the main course page, but not any of the subsequent pages that you go into - books for example. I want it in the navbar wherever you are - going into the settings menu is not intuitive, especially when you have the button on the main course page.

In reply to Marc Couture

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You can also put the Settings/Admin block in the Dock, to have it always usable without going up/down the page.