Testing and QA

Picture of Daniele Cordella
Is "Turn editing on" button missing?
Group Developers
I am sorry for this so silly question, but I feel it important.
Why does, in moodle 2, the "Turn editing on" button is missing from the front page?
Please tell me this is not true!!!!

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Is "Turn editing on" button missing?
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
I don't know why the button is missingsmile It doesn't matter as you can still edit from the front page settings but it's a fair question as you have the editing button within the courses, so why not the front page?

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers
I think the point is that Turn editing on/off is always an option in the settings block. So use that.

Group Developers
Ciao Tim.
You may be right but the "Turn editing on/off" button, IMHO, should be everywhere or nowhere. Here but not there is not a good policy.

Picture of David Mudrák
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators
Ciao Daniele,

the button has been replaced with the link in the Settings block as Tim noticed above. The fact that the button still appears at some pages is actually a bug, caused by legacy code.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Group Developers
This make sense!
Ok, looking forward for removing it from all other pages!!!

Thanks David!

Martin in black and white
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
Well, actually not necessarily ... I was going to remove it but I wonder if it isn't important enough to stay on course pages - to give new teachers a hint on how to start editing stuff. I had actually been planning to leave it as it is. The front page is less important, admins can figure that out more easily.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
Yes - I vote for leave it (please) Many teachers will be moving up from 1.9 to 2.0 and at least if they still have the familiar turn editing on button then they won't lose hope completely before they beginbig grin

Picture of Gavin Henrick
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Testers
I agree with Mary.

In fact its an issue I would like to address in a seperate post, about the changes in navigation, as I think the current default will have people lost as its such a big change.

Picture of Andrea Bicciolo
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
In my opinion, If we want to keep the interface consistent, we should select to leave the "Turn editing on" button on course and front page, or remove it form both.

Picture of Rolando Alvarado

i don't agree with that, even though the main page is a 'course', it's not a normal one, and will probably be never edited by a random teacher..

i agree with removing it on the main page, but keeping it in the courses, at least for now.. teachers have a lot to cope with, with all the new changes, taking away that edit button just adds to their troubles..

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

I agree with Rolando. My vote for keeping the Turn editing on button on course pages and removing it from the Front page.

Joseph

Picture of Michael Wallace

Hi, I'm new to the forums, but have used Moodle for about a year now.

I suggest, make it a 2 choice checkbox option:

1. Button on Front Page
  2. Button on Course menus

[default is both checked]

I mean, this isn't Clippy from Microsoft, which everyone hated (well some hated).  This is a very well liked feature.

cool

Marc Couture

I know this is an older thread, but I still can't figure out why the decision was made to remove the edit mode button and ask users to scroll down and go to Settings to turn it on or off.  From an ergonomic standpoint, having a previously fixed function constantly move up and down the screen (as the navigation block displays a variable number of items in its menus) is counter-productive.  Even more so when editing content pages.
Is there a way to modify a standard 2.x theme to include the button?

Me

I very much agree - When looking at the code in Firebug, I notice that the navbutton div is still there, but greyed out. Is there any override renderers I can use to turn this back on?! Or something I can add to a layout php file? Like general.php?! I want that button on all the course pages, not just that first page.

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

What theme are you using? What pages do you not see the button on?

I have the turn editing on button on my theme in my course pages

Me

I have it on the main course page, but not any of the subsequent pages that you go into - books for example. I want it in the navbar wherever you are - going into the settings menu is not intuitive, especially when you have the button on the main course page.

C'est moi :-)
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

You can also put the Settings/Admin block in the Dock, to have it always usable without going up/down the page.