Assignment notice to students about due dates

Assignment notice to students about due dates

by Keith Landa -
Number of replies: 16
I've had feedback from faculty that it would be very useful if there were an option with the Assignment activity for students to receive an email reminder when the assignment due date was coming up. I know there's an option for faculty to get email notification when assignments are submitted. It seems like it wouldn't be very difficult to add student reminder emails to the Assignment activity. Before I submit this as a desired feature though, I thought I would check to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

keith landa, director
teaching, learning, and technology center
purchase college suny
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Keith Landa

Re: Assignment notice to students about due dates

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Keith
I advise our staff to use the News Forum to post a reminder message. I think some of our staff would appreciate an 'automatic' notification to students - perhaps an advanced setting could 'send to those who haven't submitted' or something!
Cheers
Teresa
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Keith Landa -
Hi Teresa - I work with our faculty on using the News Forum as well. I like your idea of sending assignment reminders to students who haven't yet submitted. I will sometimes run participation reports and send reminders just to students who haven't submitted something. Automating that would be a nice addition to the Assignment activity. The settings would need to include when to run the report and notify students, or maybe just use a default of 24 hours in advance of the due date and time. keith
In reply to Keith Landa

by Chris Adams -
Tried the calendar?
It provides a visual cue when assignments are due:

vncvn

The assignment due date is highlighted above with an outline.

The students in my course like it.

Chris.
In reply to Keith Landa

by Garth Brady -

I really like this idea and am hunting for a plugin that will accomplish this.

The world has gone from pull to push notification (i.e. rss) and moodle does a good job at this, but would seriously benefit from advanced notifications of due dates (after all, students are habitually late at handing items in and the learning environment is already text heavy).

Issue:  Our students don't use email any more (and this is a growing trend in young people).  They check their facebook and sms constantly.  So, if this push notification was sms based (which can be costly) or sent to facebook, this would be inifinetly more useful.

In reply to Garth Brady

by Russ Hunt -
"Issue: Our students don't use email any more (and this is a growing trend in young people). They check their facebook and sms constantly. So, if this push notification was sms based (which can be costly) or sent to facebook, this would be inifinetly more useful." Well, OK, but they don't read books much, either. Why would it be more of the question to say, "for this course you need to read your email regularly" than to say, "you need to read this book"?
In reply to Russ Hunt

by Garth Brady -

My point is that if I didn't use email as the basis for my job, I wouldn't want important notifications going there.  Instead, I'd rather the notifications going to a place I check regularly.

We don't all have students who simply need subtle, occasional reminders.  Many of us need our students to be reminded more directly of deadlines/assignments, similar to calls home at the elementary level helping parents to force their child to complete assigned work.

In reply to Garth Brady

by Mark Childs -

Two sides to this really. One is that learning to use the technology your employer, institution, etc. chooses, rather than the one you like is an important life skill and one we should be inculcating in our students. 15 years ago when there were some staff who were recalcitrant about using email, it was important to not send communication through other means, otherwise they'd never have learnt to take a more professional approach to their jobs.

On the other hand, if your institution is up against it as far as completion rates are concerned, then I can appreciate that anything, even if it's to the long term detriment of the students' learning of life skills, might need to be considered.

In reply to Keith Landa

by Evan Donovan -

I too think this would be a great addition to Moodle. Apparently it is not a feature that is in the core code, and I have not yet seen a contrib module for this either.

Here is the issue in the Moodle Tracker for adding it:  http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-9421.

If more people vote up or subscribe to the issue, perhaps the priority could be elevated from "Minor"? (That is a guess; I don't know actually how feature requests for Moodle get prioritized.)

In reply to Evan Donovan

by Evan Donovan -

As far as I can tell, still no movement on this issue.

I contacted one of the people who had said they were working on code for it. I'll let you know if I found out anything.

In reply to Keith Landa

by Evan Donovan -

Today I released some very rough code to remind people of assignments: https://github.com/techmission/mdl_assignment_reminder.

Currently my code has a dependency on Drupal, but hopefully others can remove that.

DO NOT use this in production yet. I still need to test it for another week or so to confirm it is behaving as expected. This is still for developers only - in case anyone wants to refactor into a Moodle plugin.

In reply to Evan Donovan

by ankit garg -

Well its really long time when I am posting on this forum, but just for my information I just want to know that did any body develop any plugin which provide the automatic mailing on assignments due dates to participants....

In reply to Keith Landa

by Erica Vail -
The personalized learning designer accomplishes what you are describing.  Here is the link to the documentation on it: http://kb.moodlerooms.com/article/81/administrator
I believe you have to be a Moodlerooms customer in order to use it, though.
In reply to Erica Vail

by Michael Hughes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

We've done some custom development that displays a block that shows all of the assignments that a user has coming up "now" or "soon" (within 14 days) and creates a single list of activities from *all* their classes in submission date order.

I don't know if there's any likelihood that we'd be able to open source it (i'll see), but there is definitely a requirement both in exposing this information and aggregating across classes.