Issues with turn editing on button

Issues with turn editing on button

by John Rickard -
Number of replies: 13
Afternoon Everyone,

I am designing a new theme for our Moodle at Treviglas Community College, stemming from the theme Light Blue NoHover on moodle.org...

I have done some tweaks to the header and footer, but now I am looking to tweak the body of the page... As part of my tweaking of the header page, the turn editing on button went a bit scrwy and jumped all over the place (as you can see I now have more in the header than normal)
To solve this I moved it into the grey bar - which works lovely until something like "change role" comes up...

Please see attached image - can anyone help me with this - perhaps someone has had similar issues with tweaking this theme???

Cheers
John Rickard
Moodle Development and Support
Treviglas Community College
Attachment MoodleStyleError.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Rickard

Re: Issues with turn editing on button

by Danny Wahl -
well without being able to see the HTML/CSS for it I'd say that the problem is you have a div with the drop down and another div with the button. you probably need to float one of them to fix it.
In reply to John Rickard

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Did you position the button using CSS position:relative ? If you did, you will need to add a z-index of at least 1 unless you have other items in the stack already? So CSS for class navbutton would be something like ...

.navbutton { position: relative; top: 100px; z-index: 1}

This might work, but it all depends on how you are styling the button in the first place. Without the header.html and relevant css for the header we are working blind here!

Have you checked to see if all <div> have end tags </div> I found one too many. Also </style> repeated twice at the end of the if statement for ie8 (I think it was)

Could you upload a txt file of a cut and paste of the code for header and css? You can do it in notepad and using the upload facility at the bottom of the comment box here you can upload the file to the forum.

Thanks

Mary
In reply to John Rickard

by John St -
It is probably the image (the one on the right hand side) that is bumping the buttons down.

Post up the html of the header and I can see if I can make it work for you.

john
In reply to John St

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
John,

Is the button supposed to be in the header? As it's not so in the code now, it's on the navbar as John stated at the start.

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by John Rickard -
Hi Guys

Thanks for the hints and tips - I have tried a few out but nothing seems to get the button and change role drop down onto one line, which would be ideal...

I have attached a zip of two txt documents - header and css

I appologise now for any "bad practices" Im not an experienced HTML or CSS person, but trying to get my head around it all..

Cheers for the help

JR
In reply to John Rickard

by Mary Evans -
John (Rickards),

You may find that the problem stems from the clearfix property visibility hidden.

This is only a guess as I can't see any other reason for the drop-down menu to vanish!

PS: In my previous reply to you I mentioned something about div tags...I was refering to the ltbluehover header/footer and not your own, as I see you are customising Formal White theme...nice choice.

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by John Rickard -
Hi Mary,

Thanks for the update - I have actually "nicked" the ltbluehover theme and started customising that... its been really good up to now...

I will look into the clearfix element - but you may like to look at the zip i posted previously this morning and see if it sheds any light on my problem...

Cheers
JR
In reply to John Rickard

by John St -
I looked at the zip and somehow the navigation UL got turned into a table and the editing button got moved down into the body. This caused the issue.

See the image below. Is this what you were going for?

b1.png
In reply to John St

by John Rickard -
Hi John

Thanks for that

Ideally - I was looking to put the button and box in the grey bar below that... but this is a start...

I am only just starting to get use to ULs etc.

I will have a look and see if I can move things around

Thanks for your help
In reply to John Rickard

by John St -
See below and attached zip.

There is a small (vertical) alignment issue in ie7 but it all still works.

b3.png
In reply to John St

by John Rickard -
Fan-bloody-tastic!!!!

Im not worried about the vertical alignment - as I am not using the "A TEST COURSE" text... So it doesnt look too out of place

Thank you so much for your help - Im extremely happy now...
In reply to John Rickard

by Mary Evans -
Brilliant! cheerleader.gif

Just in case you might find a use for this...here's an old IE hack.

<!--[if IE]><style>
.ie_layout {
height: 0;
height: auto;
zoom: 1;
}
</style><![endif]-->

Where <div class="ie_layout" > is wrapped around the problem area where absolute positioning is used</div>

This is an old hack for IE - worked for me years ago when I thought IE6 was the bees knees! LOL

What it does is resets the window back to zero since the math which IE uses when position: absolute is used (and it's used in this theme hence my reference to positioning in my first post) is that IE calculates the window size differently because of the way it renders the 'box model'.

Mary