Teacher Contact Time

Teacher Contact Time

by Nicholas Cutajar -
Number of replies: 2

A technical college has installed Moodle and a couple of courses have been set up. Unfortunately the uptake by teachers has been very slow. Apart from staff turnover, one big issue is that teachers do not have the time because of their teaching load. How have schools managed their teacher's teaching load? For example if a teacher wants to use a 50/50 blended format is the teacher expected to be online during the scheduled subject's time slot, anytime during the teaching day or after school hours?  Any setup that is working well or ideas would be very much appreciated

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nicholas Cutajar

Re: Teacher Contact Time

by Paula Walser -

I think the key is professional development.  We usually provide 3-5 days of paid time for the educators to transform their face to face components of the class to the online platform.  This time is facilitated by someone with experience using Moodle and teaching online.  When the teachers leave they have a really good start  on their courses.  With this model - supported development - teachers get a jump start with guidance.

With our hybrid delivery - most of our teachers continue with the same amount of face to face time - but extend the opportunities for students by the moodle platform.   My examples are from K-12 .

In reply to Paula Walser

Re: Teacher Contact Time

by Nicholas Cutajar -

Tks Paula. I'm also interested to know from schools that have decided on a blended approach; if say the f2f system allows for 4 hours (4 lessons or periods) per week, what happens when the school starts moving into blended delivery? If say a teacher decides to have 50-50 split, does the school allow that teacher to see the studenrs half the time? What happens with the other two lessons/hours? Do students report ot the library/Computer room for the remaining/other two lessons or go home hoping that they will be diligent enough to study/work online? I assume of course the teacher will be available during those two non-contact hours/lessons to be available online to facilitate his/her course.

Nick