Opaque Question Syntax

Opaque Question Syntax

by Wade Henning -
Number of replies: 10
Hello.

I've created my first STACK question, which I would like to import into Moodle. The 'Adding an Opaque' form does not look exactly like the one in 'Moodle 1.9 Math' by Wild. I have a box for 'Question id'. The id is 1 in STACK, but the form gives me an error "This does not match the syntax for a question id". What is the correct syntax? I am only guessing that the 'Question version' should be 1.1. That at least does not get an error.

Thank you!

Wade
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wade Henning

Re: Opaque Question Syntax

by Rod Digges -
Hello Wade

I'm having the same problem. Have installed Moodle/STACK on WinXP machine using WAMP2.0.
The attached screen shot illustrates the problem - if anyone has any ideas I'd be interested.

Rod
Attachment moodle_stack_screens.jpg
In reply to Rod Digges

by Simon Hammond -

Hi guys,

My impression from the description and screenshot is that this is not STACK's Opaque implementation (which differs slightly from the original).

Did everything go according to plan with the instructions below? http://stack.bham.ac.uk/wiki/index.php/Installation_instructions#STACK_.2F_Moodle_Integration

Let me know and I'll try and help.

Simon

STACK developer

In reply to Simon Hammond

by Rod Digges -
Hi Simon,

Thanks for your offer of help - much appreciated.

I take your point, I had omitted to copy the opaque question type from the stack-dev installation (had downloaded it elsewhere). I decided the quickest thing to do was to copy this across from the STACK install and then reinstall moodle but now I'm getting errors relating to the creation of opaque question type tables in the moodle DB.

For example:

......................................................................................

1067: Invalid default value for 'type'

..............................................................................................................

it looks like the next few SQL set up queries fail due to the absence of the table above.

all the best
Rod

In reply to Rod Digges

by Simon Hammond -

Hi Rod,

The surest bet is probably to do a clean re-install of Moodle (including emptying the Moodle DB) and then copying the Opaque question type from STACK into it.

Please let me know if this works.

Cheers

Simon

by Rod Digges -
Hi Simon,

That's great. Nearly working now. I just seem to have couple of issues with the screen rendering of some of the LaTex markup and also graphical plots. For example when I tick the box to view a model solution for the first question I'm testing I get mixture of rendered and unrendered LaTex. I think Moodle is using it's tex filter to render the markup but it looks like different equations are 'tagged' differently - some delimited by single rather than double $'s?
I'm attaching a screenshot of the STACK healthcheck which I find a bit confusing as it states both success and failure regarding the jsMath scripts.

Thanks again for all your help so far.
Attachment stack_healthcheck.png
In reply to Rod Digges

by Simon Hammond -

Hi Rod,

It sounds like you have successfully activated Moodle's jsMath filter but not yet plugged STACK into this.  I've just a change to the next version of STACK to make the jsMath test messages a little less contradictory smile

Can you see the file http://localhost/moodle/filter/jsmath/jsMath/jsMath-easy-load.js ?

You could try double-checking the instructions at:

http://stack.bham.ac.uk/wiki/index.php/Installation_instructions#Fine_tune_the_jsMath_filter_for_STACK

This includes the switch to recognise single dollars as math delimiters.

For the plot, try the Missing Plots fix on the healthcheck page.

HTH,

Simon

by Rod Digges -
Hi Simon,

Just to say thanks for your advice, everything is working now on my local instances. Now I've got to get down to looking at authoring and/or sourcing appropriate questions - I read in the results of Chris Sangwin's recent survey that the OU had done a test deployment and found it difficult to author 'robust' questions. I'm looking forward to finding out!

Thanks again

In reply to Rod Digges

by Simon Hammond -

Hi Rod,

Glad you're up and running. 

I'd be very interested to hear about your experience with authoring/managing questions since this is something I'm currently developing and am liable to implement suggestions immediately!

Cheers

Simon

by Wade Henning -
Thank you, Simon. I appreciate your help. I am getting close.

Everything looks good, except that when I created a Moodle quiz and added this question, I got this response:

Preview new quiz

Question 1 Edit
Marks: 1

This question currently has no instances deployed.
Please inform your Supervisor.

Is this related, or something new?

Thank you again,

Wade
In reply to Wade Henning

by Simon Hammond -

This just looks like the standard report to tell you that you have not yet created any instances of the question.  You can do this from the STACK question list.

When you author a question in STACK you are creating a template from which specific instances can be generated, e.g. with different random values.  There's more explanation on the wiki: http://stack.bham.ac.uk/wiki/index.php/Deployment

I'm not sure why you are seeing the CDATA output; hopefully that'll disappear when you deploy.

HTH,

Simon