I don't understand display options for uploaded file

I don't understand display options for uploaded file

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I mean, as in screenshot below. Say I upload an .odt file for instance. I get:
Automatic - this seems to offer that "do you want to open or save this file?" type message. OK...
Embed - this opens up a new Moodle page in which the file is there - Ok..
Force download - this doesn't seem to be any different from Automatic, at least not that I can see
Open - nor does this? Just gives that box asking what you want to do with the file
Popup - this brings up a pop up of your chosen size - and then the same as for Automatic/force download or Open.
(Is it because I am using FF? Is it different for other browsers?)

So could someone explain the differences and why you would opt for one rather than another? Thankssmile
Attachment display.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: I don't understand display options for uploaded file

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Good question Mary! I don't have the answer (yet!) but it's clear that the display setting needs a help pop-up and so I've created MDL-22624.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well so far I've learnt that there are several factors (media type and browser config, as well as the display setting) which determine how files are displayed and if in doubt to select Automatic and let Moodle figure out how to handle the file.

If this seems rather complicated, the good news is that the site administrator can reduce the number of available display options (in Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules > File or URL) to say, just Automatic!
Attachment displayoptions_setting.png
In reply to Helen Foster

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Helen - thanks - I have learned that today as well! (Still not much wiser though) I did see that the administrator can reduce the number of display options -I think I will do that on our school Moodle when we go to moodle 2.0 - however, I suspect I am stil going to have to come up with some sort of simple explanation for people....mixedthoughtful
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
OK, I'm going to have a go at this one, I've got the code and a server running Moodle 2.0 in front of me, but I'm not making any promises.

Automatic - Make the best guess at what should happen (probably what is wanted 99% of the time).

Embed - Show the Moodle page with heading, blocks and footer. Show the title/description of the item and display the file directly in the page as well (good for images, flash animations, videos?, PDFs).

Force download - user clicks on the file, then the web browser pops up with the 'where do you want to save this file' box.

Open - No Moodle heading, blocks, footer or description - just show the file in the web browser (e.g. shows image, PDF, flash animation, taking up the whole browser window)

In pop-up - Same as 'Open', but opens a new browser window to show this file (without the Moodle heading, blocks, etc) - this browser window also does not have all the menus and address bar in it.

(The following options are only there if you enable them via the admin menu).

In frame - show the Moodle heading and the file description, with the file displayed in a resizable area below (images, PDF, flash, etc. supported).

New window - very much like 'in pop-up', but the new window is a full browser window, with menus and address bar, etc.

All of the above is true of items that can be displayed inside the browser directly (e.g. images, text files, PDFs (with plugin)). If the file cannot be displayed within the browser (e.g. word documents, without a suitable plugin, or other files that need to be loaded by an external program), then the pop-ups or frames, etc. will be created, but then the browser will take over and ask if you want to save the file.

Maybe I can summarise it all as follows:

Do you want Moodle to sort it all out for you? - Automatic

Do you want to force the user to save the file (or open it in a program on their desktop)? - Force download

Do you want to show the file as part of the Moodle page (images, PDFs, videos)? - Embed

Do you want to show the file in the browser, but without the Moodle page decorations (images, PDFs, videos)? - Open
Do you want that, but in a new window? - In Pop-up (or possibly 'New window')

Do you want to use a horrible bit of non-strict HTML that should never be allowed in polite company? - In frame
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Helen Foster -
Wow, thanks a lot Davo, your post is really helpful! approve Perfect for Moodle Docs, together with the table Martin suggested in MDL-22624 and a short and simple help popup.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Frank Ralf -
I added a link to this discussion at Talk:File_or_website_link#File_upload_in_Moodle_2.0 to remind us to find a permanent place for this thorough explanation wink

And we really should soon find a consistent naming scheme for Moodle 2.0 documentation, see Moodle 2.0 , Page naming and sort a progress report for some suggestions.

Cheers,
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Helen Foster -
Thanks Frank, as I mentioned on the talk page, I have copied Davo's explanation to mod/file/mod.

Davo, thanks also for your suggested help text wording. Everyone, please see MDL-22624 and comment before the text is added to CVS.

In reply to Davo Smith

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Davo:

Do you want to use a horrible bit of non-strict HTML that should never be allowed in polite company? - In frame

Sorry for being "impolite" here, but displaying uploaded HTML text files in a frame is my favorite option - for the following pedagogic options.

I want the course reading texts (which may include glossary hyperlinks, images, audio, etc.) to be displayed:

- within the moodle course (not in a new window where the student may "lose sight" of the current course

- without all the distracting navigation blocks ("decorations ?")

- with just the strict minimum amount of navigation (breadcrumb) showing the student where they are in the course and where they can go from there.

Joseph

Frames are best! cool

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mary et al,

Using today's Moodle version on the Moodle QA Testing Site.

Just noticed that displaying uploaded HTML files with the Embed option does not work in MS Internet Explorer 8.0. Works fine in Firefox 3.6.8. Can please people try it out and report? Maybe a paranoid "security" setting in MSIE? I just get an empty "box". See attached.

Joseph

Attachment image01.jpg