making sure the content displays the same on ALL computers

making sure the content displays the same on ALL computers

by Kate Rhodes -
Number of replies: 7
Hi there,
My moodle site looks great on my computers, but not so great on the clients end.
They have to do a lot of horizontal scrolling when viewing courses.
I'm running 1680X1050, but I've tried 1024X768 as well and don't have any issues.
I'm running firefox, but test in explorer which is what they run.
In the lessons setup, I've set it to run like a slide show and set the dimensions to fit well within an 800x600 screen.... could that be the problem.

I'm just not sure where to start looking to find the problem!
Thank you so much!

Kate
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kate Rhodes

Re: making sure the content displays the same on ALL computers

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Kate,

CSS FAQ and Themes FAQ are good starting points for learning more about CSS and theming in general.

You could use one of the tools mentioned there for a peek under the hood of your theme.

For providing more help it would be great if you could tell which theme you are using. A screenshot would also be helpful.

hth
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Kate Rhodes -

Hi Frank, that's for getting back so fast. I have checked the FAQ's but I don't even understand what CSS stands for so I found it all kind of confusing. I did go and install the Firebug to my firefox and webdeveloper like you suggested though.
I'm using the "facebooky" theme right now, but I'm not committed to it if you think there is something easier I can learn to modify. I've attached a screen shot for you 1024X768 not stretched to try and show you what the client sees. Mine doesn't look like that at all, the lesson is in the middle of the screen with tons of space!

I'm going to go and see if I can figure out what Firebug does in the meantime....
I really like moodle and love learning this stuff....it just gets frustrating sometimes.
smile

Thank you!!!
Attachment screenshot.gif
In reply to Kate Rhodes

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Kate. I apologise in advance if you already know this and I am talking to someone more experienced than myself -and I haven't used the Facebook theme - but often, if a moodle page has a horizontal scrollbar on some browsers it basically just means that people have uploaded and displayed photos (or banners) that are bigger or longer than the smallest screens can cope with.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Frank Ralf -
I think Mary is right and the photo makes the middle column too wide.

Here's a live demo site of the Facebooky Theme: http://moodle.mybiddenham.com/moodle/

You can use the Web developer toolbar, under the "Information" menu you will find "Show block size" and "Show topographic information". Those will give you an idea of the order and size of the elements on your site.
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Frank Ralf -
From the theme information:

"Facebooky is a fixed width theme inspired by Facebook.

To alter the width to which the main layout is fixed, edit the width value of the table in header.html"

The width is set to 965px by default.

How did you create the content of that page? Did you use the HTML editor? Or did you copy&paste the content, perhaps from Word? Sometimes this produces strange HTML code in Moodle.
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Kate Rhodes -
Hi there, I actually went and looked for that "header.html" in the folder for the theme using cPanel. I found the line that sets it as a fixed width and deleted it. It worked! As long as the user is using a screen resolution of something bigger than 800x600 it displays okay.
I did use the html editor to create the contents. I'm also using the 'slide show' setting in the set up for the lesson to try and keep that display window the same size and resize my photos and graphics to keep them smaller.

Still experimenting and learning for sure! Thank you all for your suggestions. There sure is more than one way of doing things isn't there!
Cheers!
Kate
In reply to Kate Rhodes

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Kate,

If you had changed the table width to 100% rather than 1000 as you have it now, the table would readjust to whatever screen resolution you choose, including 800x600.

Regards

Mary