2 Multiple choice question depend one with the other

Re: 2 Multiple choice question depend one with the other

by Tony Gardner-Medwin -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Email expansion from Vasileios Michail:

First of all I want to put one multiple-choice question or something else, with electronic circuits content. This is easy for me. In this question I will put a general feedback to the students to download a file with a virtual laboratory I have made with Visual Basic to compare their answer with the laboratory results. I would like then to put a second question that asks them - After what you seen in Virtual Laboratory, do you think your answer is correct? - I would like to put 3 answers. 1st YES, 2nd NO, 3rd I DON'T KNOW. If the student answered correct in the first and pushes YES in the second he will take 100% of his grade, or else if he push one of the other he will take 0%. If the student answered wrong in the first question and pushes NO in the second he will get 50% of grade for understanding his mistake and 0% for the other two choices. Is it possible to do something like that with CBM module?

RESPONSE from TGM:

It sounds as if you are trying to produce something that will help the students learn the topic rather than a test of what they have learned. I hope so, because that's in my view much the most important thing to develop!

I think it would take significant core programming to implement in Moodle exactly what you have outlined - where the mark is dependent on the mark previously given for a specific question. But I think you could achieve essentially the same educational result much more easily (especially with CBM - where the student is rewarded for correct identification of whether he or she really knows what they are doing). I would initially ask the Qs as you suggest, then give them the simulation, then ask them the same or related Qs again afterwards*. Asking the exact same Q afterwards is after all almost the same as asking them if their earlier answer was correct. But on the whole I would prefer to ask similar but related Qs after the simulation:  asking the same Q always caries the risk that the thought process in their heads is nothing more than "Yes, I did spot in the virtual lab that my answer must have been wrong, but I don't understand why."  It's usually fairly easy to think up variants of Qs, or to use Qs with randomised variables.

* With CBM overall they would get 6 for confident correct both times, 3 for confident correct 2nd and unconfident wrong 1st time,  4 for unconfident correct first & confident correct second, -3 for confident wrong initially & confident correct 2nd time - etc., etc.

If you want to re-present exactly the same Q 2nd time, you would probably not want the student to get feedback 1st time about what is correct. I can't remember if you can do this for some Qs in a quiz in Moodle and not for others. You can do this in LAPT (www.ucl.ac.uk/lapt), which is very flexible in these kinds of ways. Again though, I would prefer to go for giving them feedback and asking somewhat different Qs second time.
TGM

Average of ratings: Useful (1)