Organizing External Links into Folders

Organizing External Links into Folders

by Michelle Koetke -
Number of replies: 5

A teacher of mine would like to organize her external links into folders.  The problem is that under the file module any files stored locally or on a network can be uploaded and organized into folders.  THe only place I can upload an external link is when I add a resource and select Link to a File or Website.  When I add the external link it will list it under the resources for that week BUT I would like to not organize the resources by week.  Rather, I would like to group them by topic.  I cannot make folders in the reources section and I cannot manipulate the resources in the rescources section.  Help!

smile Michelle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michelle Koetke

Re: Organizing External Links into Folders

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there smile First - can you clarify exactly what you want to do? Your colleague has some external links - do you mean links to websites? - that she would like to organise in folders? Is that just so they are all in one place? Just a suggestion (as I'm not too sure what you mean) -how about using the add a resource>compose a webpage option and in there making hyperlinks to all the external links (using the text editor and the hyperlink icon) so you have a page full of links that you could name as you wished?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Michelle Koetke -

Mary, thank you so much for your quick replysmile! I really appreciate it.  Sorry if my description above wasn't clear.  Under the administration drop down, there is a files link.  When you click on that it allows you to upload files from your computer and organize them into folders.  I want to be able to upload links to websites there to without having to go to resources and compose a webpage.  We thought of that option but we were trying to figure out if it could be done through the files link.

Looks like that isn't possible so we'll go with the compose webpage option.

THank you again for your help! Have a great day-

big grinMichelle

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Michael Lewis -

I'd like to do what the OP suggested. I am trying to follow Mary's instructions. In webpage option, where is the hyperlink icon? In the text editor it says "Any "word" starting with www. or http:// will automatically be turned into a clickable link." This doesn't seem to work. Can you help?

In reply to Michael Lewis

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The hyperlink icon in the text editor of a webpage is like a chain (it is different in this Moodle as this is 2.0 but the 1.9 version is pictured below.) Type a word, then select that word and then click the "chain" icon -then in URL you type in full the web address of the link you want. (It does usually turn full web addresses into hyperlinks automatically but maybe it depends on what sort of browser you have.)

Attachment hyperlink.jpg