Turnitin's Moodle Direct Integration

Turnitin's Moodle Direct Integration

by Paul Dawson -
Number of replies: 141

Introduction

Turnitin's Moodle Direct integration activity module is a standalone Moodle module with the aim of representing the full suite of Turnitin's features within the standard Moodle workflow. The module was developed by nLearning Ltd with the full support and backing of iParadigms, the developers of Turnitin.

Key Features

• Multi Part Assignments
    Each Turnitin Assignment may consist of up to 5 parts, parts can be configured to have start dates, due dates and post dates independent of one another.

• Real Turnitin Users
    The integration maps Moodle users to real Turnitin user accounts for both Instructors and Students, there is the option to disable student emails should an institution not wish to have students log in to Turnitin rather than Moodle.

• GradeMark / Moodle Grade Book integration
    Grades are synchronised between Turnitin's GradeMark and the Moodle grade book

• Anonymous Marking (UK Only)
    Anonymous marking allows student names to be masked from instructors up until the post date

• Troubleshooting / Diagnostics
    Diagnostic mode allows administrators to identify bugs and communication issues by enabling API call logs and displaying line numbers within error messages

Download

The code for this integration activity module is available from http://download.moodle.org/download.php/plugins/mod/turnitintool.zip

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paul Dawson

Re: Turnitin's Moodle Direct Integration

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Paul,

nice to see the update in the forums! smile

Just to clarify (and hopefully avoid confusion in the future!)

there are now 3 different Turnitin integrations/plugins available for Moodle

1st - the original Assignment type developed by Iparadigms which provides basic functionality and really only provides SSO into the Turnitin site.

2nd - a deeper integration written by me which is slightly harder to install under 1.9 but planned as part of a new Plagiarism lib in Moodle 2.0 core (see MDL-13680 for more details) - the 2.0 version supports Grademark and various other advanced features. This integration allows existing Moodle modules to "call" the plagiarism library - currently added to the upload and uploadsingle assignment types, but eventually support will be added to quiz essay questions/online style assignments and potentially anywhere that users are able to upload files/content. It is envisaged that other Plagiarism tools will be added to this in future (I'm hoping that we can get a Crot plugin rather quickly!)

3rd a new Module for Moodle 1.9 users from Nlearning (see post above) - this version is much easier to install as it is mainly contained within a single module folder and doesn't require any core changes (unlike my 1.9 code) The Nlearning module provides similar functionality to the advanced assignment type in Moodle but adds some extra Turnitin related functionality

I hope that helps clarify things!
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Dan - I think I would like to start encouraging a history section to Moodle Docs for contributed code. The history section can tell the story of who wrote a plugin or patch, who maintained it, who took it over, and in the case of things like the TurnItIn.com integrations, the various different versions. Hopefully having this information readily available will help us keep with similar/related code and be able to avoid confusion between them. Thanks for sharing the current 3 options available. Peace - Anthony
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Paul Dawson -
Thanks for your comments, just to clarify the integration was started by nLearning at the request of users, but the latest version was commissioned by iParadigms (the creators of Turnitin) as their offical plug-in.

Last week we were given permission by iParadigms to submit the code to Moodle contrib. We will continue to maintain the plug-in, and it will also be available for download, configuration and support from within Turnitin accounts under the integrations tab.

I am busy finishing off the Moodle Docs for the Turnitin 'Moodle Direct' integration so I will start off a history section with the information I have this should help users understand the differences between the 3 approaches and help avoid confusion.
In reply to Paul Dawson

by Alex Lee -
I have just upgraded from the beta version to the full release. It used to work but now I am getting this error:

Primary account ID for Turnitin not activated to use the API

This seems odd since the account ID worked fine with the beta version!

Can anyone help?

Alex

In reply to Alex Lee

by Paul Dawson -
Hi Alex,

The beta version of the plug in used the Turnitin Open API and the latest release uses the Turnitin Moodle Direct API.

Please make sure you have enabled the Moodle Direct integration in your Turnitin administrator account and filled in all of the necessary details.

Regards
Paul
In reply to Paul Dawson

by Alex Lee -
Ah ok thanks Paul. It took me a while to find the instructions for this - it's at https://submit.ac.uk/resources/documentation/turnitin/training/Moodle_Native_Integration_Admin_Manual.pdf
In reply to Alex Lee

by Alex Lee -
I have managed to get it working for submissions, but I am not able to see anything as as a teacher. Despite it saying there are submissions on the Turnitin Assignments page, when I click on an individual assignment it says "No submissions have been made". I can't even see the students who have not submitted even though this is turned on in the options.

I've tried different settings - anonymous, not using gradebook, text submission, and still the same error happens.

Alex
Manchester Metropolitan University
In reply to Alex Lee

by Paul Dawson -
There was a new release on Friday that fixed some issues with database compatibility. The issue you seem to be having looks like it could be related.

What version are you using and what database are you using?
In reply to Paul Dawson

by Alex Lee -
Hi Paul

Moodle 1.9.7+ (Build: 20100127)
PHP Version 5.2.10-2ubuntu6.4
MySQL 5.1.37

Thanks for your help
Alex
In reply to Alex Lee

by Alex Lee -
Just realised I have already installed the latest version of the plugin too, I think, v 2010060301
In reply to Alex Lee

by Paul Dawson -
MySQL should work fine, there was however an issue with collating between 2 tables that could be an issue. The issue was caused by the moodle mysql database default character encoding being left as latin1 and the rest of the tables being utf8 when a new module is installed it takes the default character encoding. The collation error occured when trying to collate utf8 to latin1 which causes an error.

I addressed the above issues in the Moodle Direct Version (2010061901) that is now in the modules download database on moodle.org. You can confirm the version you are currently using by accessing the Activity Module configuration page in the admin of your Moodle install. The version number is at the top of the configuration form.

Could you try downloading the latest version and see if that fixes the problem?

http://download.moodle.org/download.php/plugins/mod/turnitintool.zip
In reply to Paul Dawson

by Alex Lee -
Seems to be working now - after I stopped putting things in the wrong directory in a subconsious effort to destroy the system, it seemed to work ok smile
In reply to Alex Lee

by Paul Dawson -
Excellent, glad you got it working. Any other problems, please let me know smile
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Andreas Stoeffer -
Hi Dan,

good to see that there will be a core integration of a plagiarism api.
You said in your post, that you wait for the CROT plugin. Is it actually developed and will it be available for Moodle 2.0 when 2.0 is ready for productive systems?

Another question:
I made a deep research for plagiarism software integrated in Moodle the last days. We want to buy a solution and run it on our own servers in our data center. If we can't find a solution perhaps we will develop one or modify a solution we will find on the software market.

Turnitin is a good solution, but the documents must be uploaded to the turnitin servers. That's no option.

Do you or anyone else in this forum smile know a solution for our requirements?

Thanks a lot for any suggestion or hint

All the best
Andreas
In reply to Andreas Stoeffer

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Andreas,

The 2.0 plugins are still in development and the API itself has been through a few changes.

The latest code is available on MDL-13680 (unfortunately the turnitin plugin on that patch doesn't work with the latest version of the API)- I'll make sure that the Turnitin plugin works when we finalise the API and include it in 2.0

I'm hoping to see a Crot and Ephorus plagiarism plugin soon after the API is finalised and lands in 2.0 core.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Alejandro Michavila Pallarés -
Hi Dan,

I'm developing a new plugin for Moodle 2.0 Preview 4+ (Build: 20100803), and I would like to know when will the 2.0 API be release for stable version.

Thanks.
In reply to Alejandro Michavila Pallarés

by Dan Marsden -
depends on the type of plugin - if you're developing a block/module you should be fine - if you're developing a Plagiarism plugin you should wait until it lands in core.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mike Wilson -

I wondered if anyone can offer any help setting the default settings for the e-rater grammar check within Turnitin Direct.

When Turnitin activities are created I'd like to have the following settings as default:

Enable e-rater grammer check - Yes

ETS© Handbook - English Learners

e-rater Dictionary - UK English Dictionary

These settings are set to US equivalents by default. I've read the documentation and checked:

Plugins -> Plugins Overview - > Activity Modules -> Turnitin Assignment

There doesn't seem to be a setting to control this.

Hope someone can help, cheers

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Hilary Reynolds -

Hi,

Turnitin recently informed me regarding integration with Moodle that "Please note that when a Turnitin assignment is created the end date of the parent class is automatically set to be 6 months from the start date of the assignment or to be the same as the
assignment post date, whichever is later." This is a huge issue for licence numbers when we work on a Semester basis and students are given a TII assignment a month before the end of the semester and their licence use continues well into the next. Any possible solutions.

Thanks

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Steve Wright -
Our Turnitin administrators refuse to allow us to get the turnitin block and use it - Moodle is not the official or supported VLE so they will actively block users and provide no support.

Is there ANY way we can use this plugin?

Steve
In reply to Steve Wright

by Dan Marsden -
You can get a copy of the code from elsewhere, but your Turnitin Administrator must enable it in the administration interface - if they're not willing to do that you won't be able to use it (unless you get your own licence of Turnitin)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Steve Wright -
Nope - it's an institutional license and the learning tech group refuse to setup sub-admin accounts for political not technical reasons.

Any way of zipping all the submissions to an assignment in moodle? That would help
In reply to Steve Wright

by Dan Marsden -
few options for 1.9 to bulk zip
use a firefox extension to zip all files on a page (can't remember the name but google should help)
Patch on MDL-7206 that you can apply to your moodle install.(that patch is already in 2.0)
In reply to Steve Wright

by John Andrewartha -
You can also look at the CROT module. It does the same thing but maybe a little slower. You will need to get a Bing key.
Bypass the politics and the bull.
In reply to Paul Dawson

by Mei P -
Hello Paul!

I got this error :

There was an error connecting to Turnitin the return error message is below: Could not connect to Turnitin. Double check your API URL setting. (extras.php | 191)

Is there something i need to set ? Please advise, thanks!
In reply to Mei P

by Paul Dawson -

There are a few possible reasons why this error may occur.

1. The plug may not have been configured in the VLE

2. cURL is not installed / enabled for PHP

3. The API URL you are using is not correct:
For UK Turnitin Accounts the API url is: https://submit.ac.uk/api.asp
For all other Turnitin Accounts the URL should be: https://api.turnitin.com/api.asp

4. The server you are hosting Moodle on requires an outbound internet connection and does not have one, sometimes you need to configure some proxy settings in the configuration page for 'Turnitin Assignments'

Could you double check the points above so we can rule these potential issues out?

Also could you check the version of the module you are using? The latest is 2010072701 , you can check this in the configuration screen, I added some extra cURL debugging information for occasions where cURL fails to connect to the API in the latest version.
In reply to Paul Dawson

by Mei P -
Hi Paul,
I have figured it out. It was the cURL and OpenSSL didnt install properly. And i'm using the latest one.

Anyway, i'm trying to change the language in turnitintool.php, in lang>en_utf8 folder :

$string['copyrightagreement'] and $string['turnitintoolagreement_default'], but so weird because it didn't want to change. Even i changed already on the script. But the others when i tried to change it, it works!

T_T any advice?
Thanks.
In reply to Paul Dawson

by Abe Loveless -
Is it possible to change the Timezone that my Turnitin account is using? I can't find that option anywhere. I'm in CST, and I don't want to change the zone on my Moodle server.

If not, how do other users get around the error stating that you can't upload the assignments until the proper assignment start time is reached?

Thanks!
In reply to Abe Loveless

by Paul Dawson -
Unfortunately, at the moment, there is no option to change the account timezone within your Turnitin account. It is normally set up the first time someone accesses the account. You can have the timezone changed by raising a support ticket with the Turnitin helpdesk.

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Andrew James -

Found a small bug in the latest version (2010090701), that stops the assignment being updated. In mod_form.php an element called 'anon' is created but when the help icon is added it is referred to as 'turnitinanon'. I changed the two references to turnitinanon (in bold) to anon to fix it but you could do it the other way round.

if ($updating AND $CFG->turnitin_useanon AND isset($turnitintool->anon) AND $turnitintool->anon) {
            $staticout=(isset($turnitintool->anon) AND $turnitintool->anon) ? get_string('yes', 'turnitintool') : get_string('no', 'turnitintool');
            $mform->addElement('static', 'static', get_string('turnitinanon', 'turnitintool'), $staticout);
            $mform->addElement('hidden', 'anon', $turnitintool->anon);
            turnitintool_modform_help_icon('turnitinanon', 'turnitinanon', 'turnitintool', $mform);
        } else if ($CFG->turnitin_useanon) {
            $mform->addElement('select', 'anon', get_string('turnitinanon', 'turnitintool'), $ynoptions);
            turnitintool_modform_help_icon('turnitinanon', 'turnitinanon', 'turnitintool', $mform);
            $mform->setDefault('anon', 0);

In reply to Andrew James

by Brendan Rollinson-Lorimer -
I like the concept of this module and was trying it out today.

I noticed that if you do not configure the module settings and then attempt to create an activity of this type, very strange behaviour takes place.

The following notice shows up many times on a blank page:

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$turnitin_enablediagnostic in /home/brendan/moodle/rlmoodle.cm.git/mod/turnitintool/lib.php on line 6082

The script then seems to go into an infinite loop, and my apache2 process starts chewing up my CPU.

I appreciate the work done on this module and I am looking forward to seeing it in action in the future.
In reply to Brendan Rollinson-Lorimer

by Paul Dawson -
Hi Brendan,

Thanks for your post. I have made a few fixes to remedy the issues you were seeing. The tracker bug is CONTRIB-2391

Did you manage to get things working once you configured everything? Let me know if you have any further questions / queries.

Cheers
Paul
In reply to Paul Dawson

by Mei P -

Hi Paul, i have problem with the GradeMark synchronize between moodle and turnitin. Last month we could use the GradeMark and sync to Moodle Grade Book very well. But now we can't use it, it says "The GradeMark Service is not available for this assignment. A problem occured when processing the application URL." and then when i rollover to GradeMark button on the assignment preview, it says : "There is no GradeMark available for this paper, your institution's subscription might not include this service"

What i know is my institution subscripted include the GradeMark..do you have idea about this? do you think there's a service on my web server didn't turn on properly ?(but i think it's not about our web server, because there's no problem within upload or retrieve the assignments or users from Turnitin through our Moodle) or do you think there's a problem on the Turnitin scripts? (but i also don't think so, because i didn't change any scripts from turnitintool.zip)

Please your advice. Thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards,

Mei. smile

In reply to Mei P

by Paul Dawson -

Hi Mei,

I think you are probably right and the issue looks like it maybe something on the Turnitin account level rather than on the Moodle side. I will send you an email directly to get some extra details about the account and I will chase it up with our account managers to see if anything looks out of place. If we can rule that out first then I will look into the code.

Cheers
Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Mei P -

Hi Paul, thank you for the reply. I just got info that our subscription for GradeMark is already expired. The marketing for our Turnitin didn't give us a clear information about that (booo..No). So there's no problem with the scripts or even the server exactly. Thanks again Paul!

Cheers, cool

Mei.

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Mei P -

Hi Paul,..i have a question. Does the PeerMark work fine on the moodle direct integration ?

Thank you for your support though! cool

Cheers,

Mei

In reply to Mei P

by Paul Dawson -

PeerMark isnt currently supported through Moodle Direct, it is in our roadmap, but hasn't been implemented yet.

Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Mei P -

Oh OK, thank you for the quick reply Paul. I was just curious. Thank you!

Mei.

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Mei P -

Hi Paul, just a quick question,..does Turnitin Moodle Integration support Chinese Language?

Thank You,

Mei.

In reply to Mei P

by Paul Dawson -

HI Mei,

The activity module does not yet have the required language pack translated. Turnitin itself supports simplified and traditional chinese. If you use zh_tw or zh_cn languages in Moodle then the activity screens in Moodle will be in english but the user should be pushed into Turnitin screens displayed in the correct language. This has not been fully tested as the Moodle Direct language packs for chinese are not completed yet.

From the latest version 2010111901, the lang_api Turnitin setting is set in accordance to language codes used in Moodle users' preferences, they map to Turnitin's language codes, which for the most part are the same. The lang_api setting was added in this version as I have added a French language pack to the activity module.

Hope this helps a little.
Cheers
Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Paul Dawson -

Hi Mei,

Done some quick testing and it looks like the zh_tw lang code works but the zh_cn does not work as it stands.

I will look into getting this resolved.

Cheers
Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Mei P -

Hi Paul! Thanks for the reply. No problem, will wait till you guys has completed the language packs and PeerMark (big grin). Please let me know when you get it finished, thank you!

Regards,

Mei.

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Helen Brennagh -

Hi,

We have had some remarks from Instructors that the synchronization that occurs once you close the Turnitin window after inserting a grade to return to the Moodle Submission inbox for each student is too long. Does anyone else have this issue, or know how to reduce this time?

Kind regards,

Helen

In reply to Helen Brennagh

by Paul Dawson -

Hi Helen,

You can turn off the auto synchronisation feature in the options tab, this setting is set on a per assignment basis. The 'Auto Refresh Grades / Scores' setting is set to Yes by default. If you set this to No then the auto synch does not happen every time a Turnitin window closes.

If you do set this then you need to remember to click 'Refresh Submissions' to manually synch the data between Turnitin and Moodle. The speed at which these synch API calls are made is pretty much dictated by two things, the speed the Moodle server connects to the internet and the speed that Turnitin responds to these calls. Both of these are likely effected by load on either end.

Hope that helps,

Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Helen Brennagh -

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your helpful and prompt response. If I test this on a smaller subset than our Professors usually have it still appears to be doing some Synchronization, even after setting Auto Refresh/Grades to No. My other concern is how long it might take to synchronize approx 100 students.

Thanks again,

Helen

by Paul Dawson -

Hi helen,

You're right it does do a synch call immediately after the Turnitin call. It shouldn't be doing that I will investigate and fix that promptly.

The call that takes the longest time is the call that is done when you click 'Enrol All Students' this call requires a call for each student as every student is enrolled individually, on a class of 100 students that would take quite a while. This call took around 1 minute on my test install with 25 users. The 'Enrol All Students' tab is mainly there to allow tutors to enroll the Moodle students to Turnitin and allows them to log in to Turnitin via the website and see which students have submitted and also see students that have not submitted. If the Turnitin assignment is only intended to be used via Moodle there is no need to click that tab as each student is created and enrolled in Turnitin when they submit anyway. This call is only ever carried out when you click the 'Enrol All Students' tab regardless of the options you select.

The tab 'Refresh Submissions' is the call that is called automatically after connecting to Turnitin. This call should not be being called when you turn the option off. That is the bug I mentioned above that I will need to fix. This call does 3 calls to Turnitin regardless of the number of students. It retreives XML data with submission data for the assignment. For larger course enrollments it will take slightly longer as the XML file is larger but it should not take too long. On my test box it took around 5 seconds for a course of 25 students just now. It shouldn't really take much longer than that for 100 student submissions.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers
Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Itamar Tzadok -

Paul, some courses are 300 students and more, and instructors do not necessarily have the fastest internet connection at home. 300 students with 1 part only assignment is 600 table rows in the submission inbox page. If such a page refreshes on every update it may consume a significant amount of time.

I've noticed another issue. There is the option to 'List studnents that have not made any submissions'. The associated help docs state:

Turnitin Assignments - Submission List

This option will allow you to list all enrolled users regardless of whether they have made a submission. The option to view users without submissions is turned off by default.

Does 'turned off by default' means that it is a setting that has to be turned on by admin? smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Paul Dawson -

Hi

The API calls are made by the server not the client machine so it does not really matter so much about the tutor's internet connections speed for the API calls. As mentioned in my post above to Helen the Refresh submissions takes 3 API calls regardless of the number of submissions.

There would be 600 table rows in the page for 300 students if you display all submissions. From version 2010102601 I added pagination which defaults to 25 submissions per page. That makes page loads a lot quicker, the page load time would depend somewhat on a tutors internet connection speed as well as the server. Upgrading to the latest version will help a lot when dealing with courses of this size.

The 'Turnitin Assignments - Submission List' refers to students enrolled on Moodle and shows students in the inbox regardless of whether they have made a submission to Turnitin. The option in under options tab is set to be turned off by default it is possible to turn this on to not show non submitting students by tutors using the 'Options' tab.

Hope this answers some of your questions, if you would like to ask anything else, please do.

Cheers
Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Itamar Tzadok -

Thanks Paul.

The number of API calls is not so much the issue as is the size of the reloaded page. Pagination is fine but it is not necessarily the answer to every scenario. I need for my purposes to see the whole list of students. I don't need to see by default the actual submissions but only the general info for each student which already displays the number of submissions and the originality score. I'd prefer the submissions data to load upon request or upon settings.

As for the 'Turnitin Assignments - Submission List' I don't understand what you mean by

it is possible to turn this on to not show non submitting students by tutors using the 'Options' tab.

One of the option I see is 'List studnents that have not made any submissions' which I understand to mean that the list box will show only non submitting students. But it doesn't seem to work like that.

I should perhaps add that I upload students' submissions on their behalf. This probably not the typical scenario that direct your design considerations, but it is a possible scenario and you do offer this option as part of the application. smile

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Helen Brennagh -

Hi Paul,

I do have one more question for you. In a couple of cases Instructors have noticed that sometimes when they return to the submission inbox it shows multiple submissions for students, when they refresh the screen it then just shows one again. In one case, an Instructor actually deleted what he thought were duplicate entries, only on returning to the screen found that this had deleted their full submission along with the comments and grades he had entered for them. Has anyone else noticed anything similar? i have not been able to reproduce this.

Thanks,

Helen

by Paul Dawson -

This has been mentioned recently but I couldn't replicate it. I will look into this again, it was reported to be when two users refreshed submissions at the same time duplicates were displayed in the inbox. As you mention refreshing submissions again removed duplicates, this work around is far from ideal. I shall look at the sequence that takes place when the submissions are synched with Turnitin again and see if I can track down this issue and fix it.

If this happens in the future and a submission is accidentally lost if you put a ticket into the Turnitin helpdesk with details of the account id, user, turnitin class and assignment they should be able to reinstate the lost submission.

I have added this bug (CONTRIB-2552) and the auto refresh submissions option bug (CONTRIB-2550) to the tracker.

Cheers
Paul

by Itamar Tzadok -

Yes. At least in some cases it seemed to be a side effect of the feature that allows draft submissions. In this mode the student submission remains on Moodle and doesn't go to TII. What appears to the instructor in the submissions inbox is a link that allows him/her to send the submission to TII. The synch with TII may work in such a way that it creates temporarily this extra bit of info which mirrors the actual submission and hence when deleted deletes also the actual submission. Or something of this sort. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Helen Brennagh -

Thanks to both of you for your speedy responses. It is much appreciated!!

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Mei P -

Hi Paul, another question :D. how come i can't delete my any of own courses as an Instructor. It says:

Editing has been disabled for this native account.

Thanks,

Mei

In reply to Mei P

by Paul Dawson -

Hi mei,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The reason this was done was to make sure classes linked to Moodle were not deleted from Turnitin, because if this happened and Moodle still had active assignments that were in that class then you would get problems and errors.

Changing the way native locking works has been mentioned and is currently under consideration, it may be changed in the near future.

Cheers
Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Mei P -

Hi Paul it's me again. I just had an issue about this again, and it's a lil bit annoying coz i have an instructor having 2 courses with the same ID and Title and it made a conflict when she'd like to create an assignment from Moodle. It says:

Insert Error
More than one class exists with this title and unique ids must be used in this case (lib.php | 5851)

i have looked at her classes in Turnitin website, and noticed there are 2 same courses. I just wanted to delete one of them, but it didn't work. The error is just same as before: Editing has been disabled for this native account.

Please advice. Thank you.

Mei.

In reply to Mei P

by Paul Dawson -

Hi Mei,

If you delete all of the Turnitin assignments from the course you no longer want linked to Turnitin from within Moodle that will break the link to the Turnitin class in the Moodle database. When the last Turnitin assignment is removed from the course the database entry linking that course with the Turnitin class is removed.

The issue you are seeing is most likely linked to a bug that existed that meant course titles over a certain length were being shortened in Turntin and this meant they had clashing titles and this caused issues. This bug was fixed in version 2011010701 to make sure the titles were no longer being duplicated in Turnitin.

That should fix the Moodle issue, to remove the class from within Turnitin you would need to contact the helpdesk as native locking of classes is in effect. If you can let me know the class ID of the Turnitin class you want removing by email I will ask the support team to remove it manually.

Hope this helps, if not let me know.

Cheers
Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Jessica Gramp -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Paul,

At UCL we appear to be having a similar problem to the one mentioned above.

We are using the latest Turnitin Direct plugin (Version: 2011072901) with Moodle v1.9.13.

When I reset my Moodle course with the default 'Copy Assignments' option selected I get this error when I try to access the submission inbox of Turnitin assignments.

Assignment does not exist in Turnitin database for this class. The assignment may have been deleted.

When I try to add a new Turnitin assignment I get:

Insert Error
More than one class exists with this title and unique ids must be used in this case

When I try to submit an assignment I get:

More than one class exists with this title and unique ids must be used in this case CODE: 220

The only way to resolve all these issues is to change the Moodle course name to one that is completely unique - i.e. has never been used in the past with Turnitin and then reset the course again with the (Copy Turnitin Assignments (Create Duplicates, New Turnitin Class) option. This then creates a Turnitin class with a unique name. We need the Moodle Direct plugin to generate a unique class name in Turnitin upon resetting the Moodle course, regardless of the Moodle course name being used.

Other things we're not sure of, but think affect this problem as well:

• Long Moodle course names probably get truncated and cause the above problems
  • Apostrophes in course names and assignment names appear as ' in the database and seem to sometimes cause problems as well

Another separate but related issue we are seeing is:
If the assignment name has an apostrophe in it, it always shows the following error:

Assignment does not exist in Turnitin database for this class. The assignment may have been deleted.

The only way we can see to resolve this problem is to delete and recreate the assignment. Resetting the course with a unique course name has no effect.

Can we please request the Moodle Direct plugin to generate a unique class name in Turnitin upon resetting the Moodle course as a matter of urgency as we are seeing more and more of our courses affected by this issue.

Thank you in advance,

Jessica Gramp
University College London (UCL)

In reply to Jessica Gramp

by Mat Cannings -

I am getting the same error messages but from a different situation. It seems that if a lecturer is adding a second assignment to a course it is generating these error messages.

I have checked on the turn it in site (submit.ac.uk) and it appears that each of the assignments has generated a new class with differing id's as shown in the attached screenshot.

When I check the table in Moodle turnitintool_courses the record is still showing the first classid (331206)

Attachment 2011-11-03 14-57-46_TurnitinUK - Mozilla Firefox.png
In reply to Paul Dawson

by Helen Brennagh -

Hi,

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place. We are currently testing the 2010111901 release and have a come across an issue where if a new user tries to access their originality report, they are brought to the screen to accept the terms and conditions. The terms and conditions text block is blank and you are unable to proceed past this screen. Do you have an idea of what might be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Helen

by Paul Dawson -

Hi Helen,

If you have issues like this I monitor this thread so you can add them here. Alternatively you could put a ticket into the Turnitin help desk about any issues you find and it will find its way to one of our developers and be tracked with by our support team.

The issue you are seeing is normally to do with language codes sent to the Turnitin API when trying to access GradeMark or Originality Reports. This should have been fixed in version 2010111901. Can I ask what language the user was using when they encountered this issue? And what the lang parameter is in the URL on the new user Turnitin screen where the terms and conditions should be and the issue occurs?

I have been trying to reproduce it on my testing copy of 2010111901 and I can't seem to reproduce what you are seeing. I get through to the new user screen with an agreement and I have tried a number of languages.

Cheers
Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Helen Brennagh -

Hi Paul,

The issue was with the installation, thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Helen

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Helen Brennagh -

Hi Paul,

I hope you are well. I have a couple of questions for you concerning Turnitin Direct.

After some testing I wondered if you could clarify a couple of questions I had about the 'Class owner' in a Turnitin Direct assignment. Sometimes support staff create Turnitin assignments on behalf of the Professor which then makes them the Class Owner. If they then try and change the Class Owner to be the Instructor and the Instructor is not joined to the Turnitin Direct account, they receive an error 'Error: Could not update turnitintool data New instructor is not joined to this account, please join them to the account first. (lib.php | 6186)'. We have discovered that you can 'join' the instructor though the administration interface in Turnitin directly, however this is not practical on a wider scale. I wondered if there is a way to automatically join instructors to the account, much like the 'Enroll all students' option.

One other unrelated question is regarding a student who has submitted their assignment in Moodle, and received a digital receipt through email which they have forwarded to me.  This student is listed with no submissions in the Moodle inbox or the Turnitin interface, however if I check the associated folder in the moddata files area in Moodle, the submission is there. The only way I have been able to recreate this is if the Instructor deletes the students submission. Is there anything else that might cause this situation to occur?

Thanks in advance for your response

Helen

by Paul Dawson -

Hi Helen,

There isn't currentlly a mechanism to enrol tutors. I do have a version in the pipeline which supports multiple instructors on a class in turnitin which will allow you to enrol tutors on the turnitin class and which will join them to the account. This is still a little way off release and doesn't yet have a solid release date set.

I will be releasing a new version with a number of bug fixes in in the next week or so, I will add an extra API call to the change owner functionality which will bypass the tutor account ID check so those errors don't appear when changing class owner. This version should be released this week or next after some QA and testing has been carried out.

With regards to the student submission disappearing the only way I know for this to happen is for a tutor to delete the submission. If you can give me the paper ID I will see if I can have the submission reinstated. Normally you could put a ticket into the Turnitin helpdesk to reinstate things that have been accidentaly deleted.

Hope this helps
Regards
Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Helen Brennagh -

Hi Paul,

Thanks again for your prompt response, I will keep an eye out for the new release. In regards to the student submission disappearing, the instructor has access to the assignment through the moddata file so no need to reinstate at this point. I just wondered if something else had occured to cause this.

Helen

by Helen Brennagh -

Hi Paul,

I wondered if you had come across a similar situation to the one described below:

A support staff had created a Turnitin assignment in a Moodle course. The instructor was 'joined' to the account so that the Class Owner could be changed to him, which was successful. It is now not possible to create Turnitin assignments in the course by the instructor or administrators, when we try we receive the error message 'Updating user information failed because user email was changed to an address that is already associated with an account (lib php | 1020).' We are also not able to change the classowner to any other 'Non editing teacher', or admin.

Is there an explanation as to why this is happening, I wasn't able to find much information about the error message online.

Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated,

Helen

by Paul Dawson -

Hi Helen,

I have not seen this issue precicely but I have seen similar errors of this type. I am sending you a message via moodle with my email details, would it be possible to send me the communication log that are stored in /moodledata/temp/turnitintool/log ? If you could reproduce the issue on your end and then send me the latest log I will investigate further. I can not reproduce it on my install. Also could you let me know the version number of the build you have installed?

Also the Turnitin plug in has two basic permissions for user types 'can submit' and 'can grade', this determines whether the users are students or tutors on the Turnitin end. This is mainly due to the fact that there is only these user types on the Turnitin end there is no such thing as a non editting Teacher on Turnitin. The only users listed that can effectively own a class are grading teachers or users with the permission to grade.

Thanks
Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Dennis Williams -

We are having the same issue. When our student worker (who is an editing professor in the course) tries to add a turnitin assignment, she gets the same error. This happens for her in two different courses, however there are three other courses that do not give her that error.

How did this get resolved?

Attachment turnitin_error.jpg
In reply to Dennis Williams

by Paul Dawson -

In the above case the issue was down to an issue with change owner in the class, this was fixed in a newer version of the plug in. The reason you are likely seeing this on some courses and not others is because the user seeing the issue is not the class owner on all of the courses / Turnitin classes showing the issue. Firstly make sure you are using the latest release of the plug in, at this point that is v2011030101 , second , once you know you have the latest version make sure that the Turnitin class owner on the affected courses do not have the same email address used twice on in Moodle. Turnitin will not support duplicate emails, that is what the message is saying. Then try changing the class owner to a user that does not receive the errors in the affected classes and test again.

Just in case you are not aware the class owner can be changed in the Turnitin Assignment summary page.

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Murphy Wong -

I got the same error.  There is an "Unlink/Relink Turnitin Users" function in the new version Turnitin plugin.  Relinking the problematic user ID will solve the problem.

Attachment Untitled.png
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Murphy Wong

by Samuel Landete -

Thank you very much, the solution provided solved my problem too.

In reply to Murphy Wong

by Sandeep Kankatala -

Thanks Murphy. It worked for me too.

Issue:

When a student tried to make a submission, the student was presented with an error message:

"Updating user information failed because user email was changed to an address that is already associated with an account".

Fix:

1. Go to Site Administration > Plugins > Activity modules > Manage activities

2. Find  Turnitin Assignment activity - click on Settings

3. Now click on Unlink Users (screenshot below)

Screenshot describing where the Unlink users located. (It is located at the top under Turnitin Assignment)

4. Search for the user(s) and click on Relink Users button

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Daniel Phillips -

Hi Paul,

I have installed the Turnitin Direct module but when clicking the Run Connectivity Test, the following error message is displayed:

There was an error connecting to Turnitin the return error message is below:

CURL ERROR: couldn't connect to host

I have enabled CURL in the php.ini file.

Does this mean that CURL is not installed on server properly or can you suggest any other solutions?

I have some credit with Catalyst would it be easier just to call them in on this one?

Cheers

Dan Phillips

In reply to Daniel Phillips

by Paul Dawson -

Looks like CURL is installed as that error is an error CURL returns. Possible reasons for this:

1. The Moodle installation server can not make outbound connections (firewall,dns etc).
2. The API URL field is empty. Make sure you enter the URL and click the save button before clicking Run Connectivity Test.

Hope that helps.

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Daniel Phillips -

Thanks Paul.

It turns out the Moodle server could not make outbound connections, so added a firewall rule to allow the connection and now all works a treat!

The Turnitin module didn't want to use the proxy to connect to the internet which was interesting even though we have other services (RSS feeds, language pack downloads) already ustilising the proxy internet connection.

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Longfei Yu -

Synchronising Data
Synchronising Turnitin Data
25% - (Estimating Time Remaining)

Looks like my Turnitin assignment submission always stuck here. The "Connectivity test" runs perfectly. After I create the Turnitin assignment, then login as student, and then submit, the screen always stuck here: "Synchronising Data".

Thanks. Any suggestions, I did not see any error message from front end or the back end log file.

I am on Moodle 2.0.1, and Oracle database. Let me know if you need any extra information. Thanks.

In reply to Longfei Yu

by Longfei Yu -

Anyone had the problem like this before? It is really frustrating. Bad thing is I even have no idea where to check from. Thanks.

In reply to Longfei Yu

by Paul Dawson -

Hi,

What version of the integration are you using? The latest version is 2011011701. Also, have you tried putting debug messages to 'ALL' and trying to run the synch? If you could do that and let me know if there are any PHP errors come up. Also please check the titles entered for the submissions, there has been a bug reported where < and > in titles cause issues with the API return xml.

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Longfei Yu -

Yes, I am using the latest version, and I did set the debug messages to "ALL", but did not get anything new in the log file when I submit a Turnitin assignment.

Check the attachment. It always hang in there, and another one is the Assignment screenshot. Let me know anything else you want to check, Thanks VERY VERY MUCH!!!

Attachment turnitin_error_1.png
In reply to Paul Dawson

by Longfei Yu -

Another pic.

Attachment turnitin_error_2.png
In reply to Longfei Yu

by Paul Dawson -

Hi,

There is a minimum amount of characters required as a text submission, if you do not submit the minimum amount then there would normally be an error returned:

"You must submit more than 20 words of text."

Did you submit more than that amount of words? I can't seem to reproduce the issue on my install with oracle db and Moodle 2.0.1.

The way it sticks on 25% seems to indicate that the integration isn't connecting to the Turnitin API or the connection is timing out. The process at 25% is the initial session connection, the uploading of the file itself happens at the 75% mark. In the Moodle config do you have the setting Enable Diagnostic set to 'Yes', if not set this to yes and reproduce the issue, there will then be communication logs stored in /moodledata/temp/turnitintool/logs take a look in there. That should give you a clue as to what is happening during the API call.

Give that a go and let me know.

Cheers
Paul

Attachment Diagnostic.PNG
In reply to Paul Dawson

by Longfei Yu -

Thanks, Paul. The Diagonostic is setting to Yes. and thanks for letting me know where the log file is. Here is the log file I got this morning, about 15 minutes ago. However, all look successful. But the 25% is still haning there for about 5 minutes, then give me a totally blank page. Really exhausting! Thanks. Also, please let me know what's the next step to check.

Longfei

##############################################################################

== FID:1 | FCMD:2 ===========================================================
== SUCCESS ===================================================================
CALL DATE TIME: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 08:39:32 -0500
URL: https://api.turnitin.com/api.asp
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REQUEST VARS: 
Array
(
[gmtime] => 20110215133
[encrypt] => 0
[aid] => 63045
[diagnostic] => 0
[fid] => 1
[fcmd] => 2
[utp] => 1
[uid] => 25541741
[uem] => moodlepilot@oit.umxxx.edu
[ufn] => Demo
[uln] => Student
[dis] => 0
[md5] => cc7374b63fc25bd52c3b7c267116d8e2
[create_session] => 1
[src] => 12
)

RESPONSE: 
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- Turnitin API Return Data -->

<returndata>
<rmessage>Successful!</rmessage>
<sessionid>6d584ec949087f35e4c4d826894620ec</sessionid>
<rcode>92</rcode>
</returndata>

== FID:18 | FCMD:2 ===========================================================
CALL DATE TIME: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 08:39:32 -0500
REQUEST VARS: 
Array
(
[gmtime] => 20110215133
[encrypt] => 0
[aid] => 63045
[diagnostic] => 0
[fid] => 18
[fcmd] => 2
[utp] => 1
[uid] => 25541741
[ufn] => Demo
[uln] => Student
[md5] => 1a8ead916243af88b44b037c44ce7d72
[session-id] => 6d584ec949087f35e4c4d826894620ec
[src] => 12
)

RESPONSE: 

<returndata>
<rcode>92</rcode>
</returndata>

== FID:10 | FCMD:2 ===========================================================
CALL DATE TIME: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 08:39:33 -0500
REQUEST VARS: 
Array
(
[gmtime] => 20110215133
[encrypt] => 0
[aid] => 63045
[diagnostic] => 0
[fcmd] => 2
[assignid] => 11378951
[assign] => Turnitin 5 - Part 1 (Moodle 11378951)
[cid] => 3828959
[ctl] => Cryptozoology 101 (Moodle 3828959)
[tem] => mxxxxx@gmail.com
[utp] => 1
[fid] => 10
[uid] => 25541741
[ufn] => Demo
[uln] => Student
[md5] => 4366be7cc6fc6371a92c2cf31ad70119
[session-id] => 6d584ec949087f35e4c4d826894620ec
[src] => 12
)

RESPONSE: 

<returndata>
<rcode>72</rcode>
</returndata>

== FID:1 | FCMD:2 ===========================================================
CALL DATE TIME: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 08:39:34 -0500
REQUEST VARS: 
Array
(
[gmtime] => 20110215133
[encrypt] => 0
[aid] => 63045
[diagnostic] => 0
[fid] => 1
[fcmd] => 2
[utp] => 1
[uid] => 25541741
[ufn] => Demo
[uln] => Student
[dis] => 0
[md5] => cc7374b63fc25bd52c3b7c267116d8e2
[create_session] => 1
[src] => 12
)

RESPONSE: 

<returndata>
<sessionid>8ee71376cb5ac1eab6bb63e9af0acd12</sessionid>
<rcode>92</rcode>
</returndata>

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Longfei Yu -

By the way, when I run the "Run Connectivity Test", it always gives me "

Moodle has successfully connected to Turnitin.". So I guess the connection is good always. Besides, I never got the "You must submit more than 20 words of texts." message.
What else investigations do you want me to do next?
In reply to Longfei Yu

by Paul Dawson -

I have found the issue you encountered. It is to do with the function turnitintool_tempfile() and a difference between linux and windows filepaths.

I replicated the issue on my linux installation, I have a fix for the issue and will release a patch ASAP. I am going to add this bug into the tracker.

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Longfei Yu -

Thanks so much, Paul. It is so great you found the problem, and going the release a patch shortly. You are going to release a totally new zip package, or only some seperates file? Also, may I know when? My coworkers are keeping asking me this, lol.

I am wondering you did not test this on Linux before? lol

Thanks again!

Longfei

In reply to Longfei Yu

by Paul Dawson -

Hi Longfei,

I did test my initial Moodle 2.0 install testing on linux and this issue never came up, the installation I tested on likely had a php temp directory with a trailing slash on the end so the issue never showed up. What makes me frustrated with myself is I pointed out a very similar issue on the tracker about another Moodle 2.0 feature.

I have released the fixes to CVS. The files that were updated are lib.php, Changelog.txt and version.php but you may as well wait for the nightly build and download the whole zip file from http://download.moodle.org/download.php/plugins/mod/turnitintool.zip

Cheers
Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Longfei Yu -

Where in CVS?

Here is where I went (under "contrib" structure): contrib -> plugins -> mod -> turnitintool, but I found all of the latest timestamp is Feb 9. I doubt I went to the right place to get them.

So, where can I download the latest updates you made for me from CVS? Thanks.

By the way, maybe you also should update the package on the turnitin.com website?

Attachment turnitin_cvs.png
In reply to Paul Dawson

by Longfei Yu -

Ah, thanks, after I downloaded all of the contrib, I found the new updates there. Anyway, everything is working now. Thanks so much for you help, I really appreciate it. Also, I am not sure if you need to update the download package on turnitin website.

Longfei

In reply to Longfei Yu

by Paul Dawson -

Glad that got it working. I do need to add the new package to turnitin.com I need to check that out into a different repository but it should be up there very soon.

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Longfei Yu -

Yeah, coworkers are doing the further testing about it, and will let you know if they meet any other problems.

By the way, how can I edit or delete my posts here? It is weird I cannot see those links or buttons to do that.

Longfei

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Mei P -

Hi Paul, how have you been?

I kept getting an error message below while i'm trying to create an assignment :

Updating user information failed because user email was changed to an address that is already associated with an account (lib.php | 999)

I was pretty sure it happened because there were 2 different email account of our instructor (same person and information) in Turnitin.com conflict each other, then i deleted one of the account directly from Turnitin.com website. But still i got that error message.

Do you have any idea? Thank you very much for your support!

In reply to Mei P

by Paul Dawson -

Hi Mei,

Do you mean there are two user's in Moodle with the same email address? If so then you will need to change one of them as they must be unique in order to work with Turnitin which does require every user has a unique email address.

If that is not the case now and two users have had the same email address but don't any longer then you need to unlink the two user accounts in the 'Unlink Users' admin config screen. Make sure you only unlink the users with the a problem as linking users that don't have any issues can cause additional issues on older builds of the integration.

Also the delete icon in Turnitin itself does not actually delete the user it merely unlinks the teacher from your Turnitin account.

Hope that helps
Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Mei P -

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your support, it's working fine now, i just need to unlink the conflict user from moodle. smile

Have a great day!

Warm Regards,

Mei

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Paul Fynn -

Hi Paul,

We currently have this issue, and with 172 students and 10 faculty on the list, I'm not sure how we go about finding the duplicate ID ??

Any guidance please?

Thanks

Paul(F)

In reply to Paul Fynn

by Paul Dawson -

There's a couple of things you can try to find the duplicates.

If there is a particular user that is receiving the error then either it is that user or it's the tutor listed as the Turntin Class Owner in the assignment summary screen where the error occurs.

Second thing to try is looking into the data dump under the tab in the configuration screen. The first table listed should be the user table that the integration uses to link Moodle userids to Turnitin user ids. You should be able to find duplicates in there.

Once you find them locate them in the list on the Unlink Users page and unlink them.

Hope that helps
Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Daniel Palacios -

Hi Paul, I just upgrade my moodle site from 1.9.2 to 2.0 and its working fine.

Later I reinstall your Turnitin's Moodle Direct Integration (ver 2011021501) and i have a problem. When i edit the Turnitin assigment and i want to modify the due date, there is not a year field and when i accept my modifications the year change to 2000.

Thanks in advance fotr any advice you have,

Daniel

Attachment 01.JPG
In reply to Daniel Palacios

by Paul Dawson -

This looks like an issue with the way I am reading the language string for the short date format.

What language are you using? If you can let me know I will try and see what is going wrong.

Cheers
Paul

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Daniel Palacios -

Hi... I'm using Español-Internacional (es).

Thanks for the help,

Daniel

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Longfei Yu -

Hey, Paul,

I got the error message when I create a Turnitin with " Store Student Papers - 'No Repository'". The message says "A required parameter (id) was missing".

Thanks.

Attachment Screen shot 2011-03-01 at 11.16.43 AM.png
In reply to Longfei Yu

by Longfei Yu -

Ok, I heard this should be the Turnitin licence thing.

But, I find another small issue, when you change the "start date", "Due date", after you click the "pencil" icon, then, that frame extends, and the icon for submit could be missing, unless you drag your browser window bigger enough, even if you drag the browser bar to the right most. So, some instructors complain about this, they cannot see the icon for submit. Is there a way to fix this? At least when you drag the bar of your browser to the most right, you can see the icons for submit and delete.

Thanks

Longfei

Attachment turnitinduedate.png
In reply to Paul Dawson

by Andrew James -

Quick question - does the direct integration support importing turnitin activities from one course to another (which performs a backup and restore)? If not, are there any plans to look at it in the future?

I ask because I am using the latest version (2011030101) from these forums and when I try an import I get an error message of 

There was an error linking your Turnitin Class. You can have only one Turnitin Class associated with one Moodle Course, and no two Moodle courses may link to the same Turnitin Class.

In reply to Andrew James

by Paul Dawson -

This is a very good question. The answer is no it is not possible to import activities from one course to another.

What you get with a Turnitin activity is basically an API link to an assignment in Turnitin. This means the assignment isn't really in Moodle it is referenced by Moodle. The class is mapped to a course and the assignment is mapped to an activity. That activity then uses the API link to the assignment to draw down submissions, grades and originality results from the Turnitin assignment. This is done because in most cases the student is allowed to submit to the assignment via Moodle or directly via the Turnitin website.

If you were to somehow duplicate that activity in a seperate course you A) need to map the new course to the same Turnitin class and B) map the copied activity to the same Turnitin assignment. This would cause issues as the same submissions would essentially be in both copies of the Turnitin activities. By design we decided to stop this from happening by detecting a duplicate before the copy is restored.

If you want to 'course copy' you would need to 1) back up the original Moodle course 2) once the course has been backed up you would reset the original Moodle course, in doing so the Turnitin class and assignment would be replicated in Turnitin and given new class ids and assignment ids 3) restore the backup into a new course and because the original moodle course has been reset you could restore the backup.

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Andrew James -

Thanks for the explanation, which confirms what I thought the error message was telling me.

Given that imports don't include user data, ideally the imported turnitin assignment would be the one that is reset. We use import to bring across the structure of a course for the next year, while preserving what has been done in the last year.  

I'm going to have a look and see if I achieve this, the main problem seems to be working out whether it is a restore or an import that is being performed.

Thanks again for your help.

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Kevin Hunt -

Hi all

I've just noticed reading through threads here that the version of the plugin we are using is rather old - 2010111901.

Is it just a case of downloading the latest and uploading to our Moodle server, replacing files or does anything else have to be done ?

Any impact on existing Turnitin assignments that have been uploaded ?

Finally (!), is there a URL where we can see what has been updated ?

We're using Moodle 1.9.11+ (Build 20110406) by the way.

Thanks

Kevin

In reply to Kevin Hunt

by Paul Dawson -

Yeah, you just replace the files using the latest version. The assignments are linked to Turnitin assignments and should all be left as they are now, submissions etc are stored in Turnitin once they have been submitted for checking / grading. There is a changelog.txt file inside each new release's download package, that will have details of the changes that have been made since the version you are using.

In reply to Paul Dawson

Do Moodle Courses and Participants copy automatically to Turnitin?

by Silvana Meneghini -

Does anyone know if bu using Moodle Direct integration with Turnitin, there is a way to see all Moodle courses and corresponding participants within Turnitin as well? That would be real integration to me as it wouldavoid having to create all courses and participants in Turnitin again.

In reply to Silvana Meneghini

Re: Do Moodle Courses and Participants copy automatically to Turnitin?

by Dan Marsden -

all 3 of the methods for integrating turnitin with moodle create courses in Turnitin "linked" to the course in Moodle so if you log into Turnitin.com directly with your turnitin account you should see a list of courses corresponding to your list of courses in Moodle.

talking about "real" integration - have you seen my plugin that integrates with existing Moodle modules rather than being it's own plugin?
http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Plagiarism_Prevention_Turnitin

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Silvana Meneghini -

Thanks for the feedback Dan.

Why is it that I login to Turnitin and just see courses which have a Moodle Turnitin assignment, or that have at least once created a Turnitin assignment?

I understand than that courses are created on Turnitin on the base of access thorugh Moodle ...

In reply to Silvana Meneghini

by Dan Marsden -

The course in Turnitin is only created when someone adds a Turnitin assignment to a Moodle course. Why do you want a full list of Moodle courses in Turnitin when they aren't relevant? - you don't want your teachers to create assignments directly on turnitin.com as they won't be accessible via Moodle.

here's the process.

Teacher creates Turnitin assignment in Moodle
(behind the scenes a check is made to see if there is a course in Turnitin for this Moodle course - if not, it creates it)

It would be possible to develop a script that created a course in Turnitin for each course in Moodle but I really don't know why you would want to do this - it would likely cause more confusion for your teachers - especially if they try to create assignments on turnitin.com instead of Moodle.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Silvana Meneghini -

Ok, I get the idea.

My problem is that not everyone at school uses Moodle, so not everyone will access Trunitin thorugh Moodle. many people will go staright to Turnitin.

Thanks for the tips!

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Adam Barbary -

Hi Dan,

I promise I'm not stalking you, honest. Anyway, we are running 1.9 with the first generation official Turnitin plugin, the one that doesn't allow changing of dates, and we are preparing to migrate to 2.1. Have you or anyone else for that matter, had any experience with migrating 2.1 and maintaing access to old Turnitin assignments when shifting to the integrated Turnitin?

It might save me a lot of testing if this is straight forward. 

Cheers,

Adam

In reply to Adam Barbary

by Dan Marsden -

I did an upgrade from 1.9->2.1 for a site using the old Turnitin basic plugin a couple of weeks ago (Moodle assignment type) and it worked fine with no issues - just make sure you have the latest version of the plugin code (available via logging in as admin to your turnitin account)

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Kevin Hunt -

I see that Turnitin is now offering grammar checking. Is this (or will it be) supported as an option to select using the Turnitin plug-in for Moodle ?

It would be really useful to be able to select this as an option when setting a Turnitin assignment activity.

In reply to Kevin Hunt

by Dan Marsden -

There's nothing in the latest API manual that covers it but my guess would be that it will probably be added to the Turnitin Direct plugin before any of the other Turnitin plugins.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Liz Wyman -

Hi all. We just bought Turnitin and the Moodle integration and only installed it today so these are very basic questions that I thought I wouldn't bother the support desk with. Firstly, I'm the administrator of Turnitin (and an admin on Moodle), but it won't let me add an assignment because I'm not an instructor. My belief was that that the Moodle integration autmatically adds instructors - but nonetheless I tried to add myself in Turnitin and still couldn't.

Second, we are having problems when it says our test assignments aren't open when they clearly are and we have to set the open date as way back.

Lastly for now, when i tried to open a submitted assignment I'm getting a meassge "If one unique ID is used they must all be used". is this something I've set inadvertently?

In reply to Liz Wyman

by Ben Goodwin -

I have just carried a complete server migration to a new win2008 server including the long overdue upgrade to php/mysql and moodle from 1.9.4 to 1.9.13. Everything seems fine apart from our turnitin assigmnents arent showing on the assignmennt lists and cant be accessed from courses. The records are in the assigmnents tabel etc. I have applied the latest build of Tii direct and some table upgrades etc were carried out but the same missing assigmnents exists. Can anyone help? Thanks, Ben

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Michele Mason -

I have installed the turnitintool Moodle Direct for Moodle ver 1.9 but according to Turnitin I should have installed their version by iParadigms. Do I have to uninstall the current one I have and if so how do I uninstall it? or do I just install the iParadigms version as if I'm doing a fresh plugin install?

Your help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Michele

In reply to Michele Mason

by Dan Marsden -

Hi Michele - you should just be able to replace the existing version by removing the existing turnitintool directory and replacing it with the latest version.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Michele Mason -

Hi Dan

Great thanks for your reply, I'll try this with fingers crossed.

Michele

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Michele Mason -

Hi Dan

Okay I did that but there must be a file somewhere else that needs to be removed or uninstalled because nothing has changed. I'd like to do this process all over again and romove or uninstall turnitin and reverse any other installation files necessary so it is as if it was never installed. Then start again with the new version I've been given from Turnitin.

Do you know how I can do that?

thanks

Michele

by Dan Marsden -

after installing the new files you should visit admin > notifications to trigger any db updates - if it doesn't do anything then maybe you already had the latest version installed anyway. What are you expecting to change?

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Michele Mason -

Yes I did do that but it wasn't running the connectivy test. But I just ran it now and it seems to have worked saying "Moodle has successfully connected to Turnitin". But now I have another issue, the url sits on http://mydomain/mod/turnitintool/extras.php after running the test and there is no breadcrumbs so I have to remove the end part of the url "/mod/turnitintool/extras.php" and refresh the browser to return to my site. Is this a bug or do I have to write something in the CSS to deal with it?

thanks

Michele

by Dan Marsden -

sounds like a bug to me - I don't use the turnitintool module and don't have a copy installed anywhere at the moment so I can't verify this... but you should take a couple of screenshots and send them to the turnitin support desk for further feedback as they maintain and support the turnitintool plugin.

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Dave Willmore -

I have a student that states that he has a low bandwidth connection to the net.   He gets to and uses Moodle without a problem, but when he attempts to submit an assignment he only gets the first half of the page displayed to him and cannot actually submit his paper.   This is the only student to state that this is happening, and it is in both Firefox and IE.

Has anyone heard of this situation?  The reports show that the student is trying to access Turnitin...but those logs are vague and I cannot tell if he was doing anything more than viewing the assignment.  Turnitin says they only log successfull submissions.

PS

We need logging that shows if an attempt to submitt has occured or not.

In reply to Dave Willmore

by Jay Regan -

Could somebody offer some support with my problem, uploaded files are stuck at 'pending' and have been for some time (see attached).

Thanks

Attachment Pending.gif
In reply to Jay Regan

by Nancy K Hoke -

Morning James - I had this same question.  What TII told me is that the Pending usually means that there is 0% from other sources and I was told that the developers of the module were working on this issue and it should be corrected in the next upgrade.  From our extensive use of the TII assignment box - all of the documents that continue to have Pending in the originality field are 100% original work.  I have also found that if there are a large number of files - it takes a bit of time for the TII information to come into Moodle.  I do hope that this helps - Nancy K.

In reply to Jay Regan

by Martin King -

Hi,

We too experienced this problem A LOT (on Moodle 1.9.13) and were advised by Turnitin UK to upgrade to the latest, but somewhat unheralded, version of the API Module.  We are now on Version: 2012030501 and these problems have not reoccured - although there have not been many submissions since we upgraded.

Best

Martin King

Senior Learning Technologist

Royal Holloway, University of London

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Jason Cashel -

Hi Dan,

The code in the git repo (https://github.com/danmarsden/moodle-plagiarism_turnitin) for the Moodle Plagiarism plugin is broken I think.

We reverted back to :

git reset --hard 2c371266276880240b7695cf0a324a591810bbff

HEAD is now at 2c37126 Merge pull request #28 from jamesballard/patch-1 .

Which is dated 16/3/2012.

Courses and Assignments were being created on Tii but assignments submissions were not showing on the Tii server and no similarity score was coming back.

Using Moodle 2.2.3. We also had to fudge the install Moodle version requirements as you had a very recent date and our Moodle install did not (even though it was 2.2.3).

Thanks,  Jason

In reply to Jason Cashel

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Jason - I recently had an issue updating the turnitin cod to the latest because of the required version which I think was pointing to Moodle 2.3. I would encourage Dan to change the require to 2.2. I typically update to the latest 2.2 version and then update the tii code. I did as you did and fudged the require. Peace - Anthony 

In reply to Jason Cashel

by Dan Marsden -
Hi Jason,

if you have a look at the commit messages on the github repo you might see why smile

the git repo contains the latest version for Moodle 2.3 which changes the way files are passed in the events. I've been a bit lazy and haven't bothered to create different branches in github.

you can either use the commit before all the 2.3 changes (which you found already) - or use the downloads for 2.2 here:
http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=plagiarism_turnitin
(important to note that that latest 2.2 release requires Moodle 2.2Stable with a version number higher than 2011120501.06 due to changes around renderer stuff)

If you want a version that supports an older release of 2.2 or 2.1/2.0 look here to grab the older version:
http://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=plagiarism_turnitin

thanks!

also if you haven't seen it already you should be aware of this:
http://danmarsden.com/blog/2012/03/06/future-of-moodle-turnitin-plugins/
In reply to Jason Cashel

by Jason Cashel -

Hi,

Using Moodle 2.2.3 and the Dan Marsden Tii plugin (still the latest as of this morning as I checked).

Turnitin works most of teh time but we seem to be getting a few Turnitin errors.

These errors require the recreating of the assignment:
- 127 If one unique ID is used, they must all be used
- 206 Assignment does not exist in Turnitin database for this class. The assignment may have been deleted.

This error requiries the student to re-upload the assignment using a different file name to fix it:
- 212 objectID does not exist for this user

Is anyone else experiencing these errors? How are you dealing with them?

I have written a script that we run hourly with cron that notifies staff to recreate assignments and students if they need to re-upload them.

Also is there a way to get more information on what is going on errorwise here? Turn debugging on for example, as maybe there is something timing out and it is not handling it well?

Thanks,

Jason

In reply to Jason Cashel

by K D -

Hi Jason,

We are also having similar issues... 

I noticed that the 206 can be caused if the name of the assignment is changed in Moodle after it was created in Turnitin.  The manual workaround is to update the assignment name directly in Turnitin and reset the relevant submissions in Moodle.

The 127 error seems to be where the assignment has not yet been created in Turnitin (I ran a cron to force creation) or, if the assignment does exist in TII, the 'turnitin_assignid' value has not been set for that course module in the plagiarism_turnitin_config table.  I was able to set this manually for a couple of our assignments which resolved the issue.

We are still having issues with the 212 error where I can login to TII via Moodle and see the assignments created in the course OK but teachers in the course get the 212 error when they try to click on the report link in Moodle.  If the teacher logs into TII via Moodle they are unable to see the assignments at all.  So am stuck on this one at the moment.   I'm hoping the only solution isn't to recreate/resubmit the assignments like you suggested above.

K

In reply to K D

by Leonard Houx -

I'm having trouble with 212 errors as as well. It seems that some users get it, some don't. I get this impression that only some of the information is sending to the Turnitin account.

In reply to K D

by Anis Jradah -

Dear K D,

Please note that we are getting the 127 error while we are submitting a file to turnitin. It was working fine before.

Also in the turnitin site the assignment is not created.

We are using Dan's plugin.

Please advise how did you solve it.

Regards,

Anis

In reply to Paul Dawson

by Aidan O'Donoghue -
Hi Guys, I have installed the TII direct module on our moodle installation and everything seems to work fine. I can submit papers no problem. However after a while to similarity reprt goes to blue 0% even though I have copied the entire text from wiki. The wehn I click to view the originalialty report i get a 414 report not ready error. I have uploaded docs a few days ago and at first thought it might take a while for the report to be generated. However, I'm not so sure now. Can anyone throw some light on this?   error is Originality report not generated yet in fid 6,fcmd 1 I would be great ful for any help
In reply to Aidan O'Donoghue

by Jason Cashel -

Hi Aiden,

If you run the cron manually do you see any more information or errors?

If you log directly into the Tii website as the claes teacher do you see the class and assignments created? Has the students assignments been uploaded and do they have a score on the Tii website?

Thanks,

Jason

In reply to Jason Cashel

by Aidan O'Donoghue -

Hi jason,

Thanks for the info. Yes the docs were uploading and I could see it on my turnitin page. Not to worry I sorted it out. When I created the turnit in assignment I never changed the settings to compare it against the various sources. Thats why a  report wasn't being generated.  Just my own fault. smile

All sorted now though

In reply to Aidan O'Donoghue

by Alastair Horne -
We are having problems get assignments to submit. Turnitin version 2012120404
I have run a Connectivity Test and it connects successfully.

When anyone tries to submit assignment it comes up with the following error:

You may not submit a paper to this assignment until the assignment start date. CODE: 1001

Start Date: 13 Marh 2013
Due Date: 21 March 2013
Post Date 21 March 2013

Can anyone help?
In reply to Paul Dawson

Does Turnitin check for plagiarism on Online Text in Assignments...?

by Clay Burell -

... or does Submission Type need to be an uploaded file?