Map of Wikis in Moodle and naming conventions, just for sanity sake

Map of Wikis in Moodle and naming conventions, just for sanity sake

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Number of replies: 3
Moodle has gathered a bunch of Wikis over the years. I sincerelly hope Moodle 2.0 will only have two and at some point it will converge to just one.

These are the wikis we have.eWiki, Aka efurtWiki or (old)Wiki is the Moodle 1.X standard module. Most teachers that have used it have learned that needs way too much improvements.
DFWiki Wiki module that can work without breaking eWiki, as a separate Wiki. Only works for Moodle 1.5. DFWiki is stable (we have still some downloads and no bug reports so far). David Castro, Ferran Recio and myself take blame for DFWiki.
NWiki Based on DFWiki, NWiki, is an alternative for eWiki. It replaces it and migrates content. Since 2006 NWiki was a candidate to replace eWiki but it din't happen. NWiki have to be carefull when upgrading moodle, cause sometimes they accidentally re-install eWiki and everything stops working, untill they re-install NWiki. There are some minor bugs opened on NWiki. Jordi Piguillem and myself (and a huge list of UPC students) take blame for NWiki
OUWiki or Sam's Wiki. is a lightweight wiki, easy to use tailored to OU needs. Installs as a separate module and has no interaction with NWiki or eWiki.
Wiki 2.x is the default wiki for Moodle 2.0 Has been recoded from scratch and has been inspired on NWiki - and some neat features of OUWiki. Is fully functional, but there's still much work to do to make it a terrific wiki (first thing is to get the wiki parsers working as text filters). Our aim is to make it the best wiki designed for educational uses.

Migration

Wiki 2.x installs over Moodle 1.9.X and Moodle 2.0 alpha eWiki and migrates all content. Pages in eWiki markup will be converted to HTMLEditor Wiki pages, since no ewiki parser is featured on Wiki 2.x

Migration from NWiki. Soon we will release a patch for Nwiki so it can migrate the content to Wiki 2.x Meanwhile NWiki user's DON'T MIGRATE TO 2.0 Please be patient, we are working on that.

OUWiki can work by itself. I beliebe that we could work with Sam to create a way to import OUWiki backups on Wiki 2.x
(Sam?)

Now, please let's use these names (ewiki, dfwiki, nwiki, ouwiki and wiki 2.x to refer to the proper ... sic, wiki engine)

L.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Re: Map of Wikis in Moodle and naming conventions, just for sanity sake

by Gavin Stokes -
Thank you so much for this clarification!
I'm sure you have saved many of us hours of experiments and headaches. smile
Looking forward to Wiki 2.x
Cheers!

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Just pushing this thread up... so more people can ready it... and tell what wiki are talking about.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Perhaps if the new default wiki for Moodle 2.0 is called wiki 2 then someone ought to change the wording in the description at the top here where it says there will be a new wiki for Moodle 2 - Nwiki..wink