Splitting up Quizports

Splitting up Quizports

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Gordon,

I wonder if you could advise on a matter I have been pondering for a while. 

I have some Quizports with several hundred exercises in them which you advised me to split up and link to each other to make each one more manageable and less cumbersome in terms of processing time.

So the links to the various different Quizports appear on the course page, even though I only want the student to start with the first one.  I have been told that this is confusing for the student, and frustrating if they try to select a more advanced Quizport which they don't have access to.  I would like just the first Quizport to appear.  If I make the others invisible then students can't access them.  I suppose I need a permissions option to allow students with required score to view them.  I can't think of a workaround.  Do you have any suggestions?

With thanks in advance as always.

Deborah

p.s. No joy on the double iSpring play...?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Splitting up Quizports

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Deborah,
as I understand it, on the course page you would like the students to be able to see only the QuizPorts they have done plus the next one they are allowed to do by virtue of having got a sufficiently high score on earlier QuizPorts.

I'm afraid that is not possible using QuizPort on Moodle 1.9.

I understand that Moodle 2.0 will allow such functionality. You can specify pre-conditions on Moodle course activities, and you can also specify that until pre-conditions have been satisfied, the activity is to be hidden or greyed out.

However, given the situation that you have, I think the only way you can the QuizPorts and course page closest to looking and behaving as you want is to keep things as they are.

I have not been able to reproduce the iSpring phenomena on a single IE8 yet, so I am no nearer a solution on that front sad

regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Deborah Delin -

Hi,

Sorry, but I am not quite clear.thoughtful

Have I understood correctly that when Moodle 2.0 is released I will be able to use the pre-conditions on Moodle course activities with Quizport?  Which would indeed resolve my problem....

Thank you.

Deborah

In reply to Deborah Delin

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Deborah,
yes, that is what I understood from the fine demonstration of Moodle 2.0 that I saw Martin D. do at the recent MoodleMoot in Hokkaido.

I haven't played with all the settings yet though so don't believe it till you have tried it for yourself. Also, remember that Moodle 2.0 is still officially classified as UNSTABLE so do get too excited about using it on your production site in the immediate future.

More info about Conditional Activities in Moodle 2.0:
You can download and play with Moodle 2.0 from the Moodle downloads page - you'll need to scroll down to the bottom of the page to see it.

best regards
Gordon