Institutional testing and QA?

Institutional testing and QA?

by Matt Jenner -
Number of replies: 1
I wanted to post here to ask for some advice, or feedback on how institutions test and QA their Moodle. At UCL we have a rather large installation and we currently have adopted a method of applying most of our larger changes during the summer however when a minor revision is released we will often schedule to upgrade within 2-3 weeks of it being announced.

Before we upgrade the live server we will make a fresh copy to a development instance and then upgrade that. We apply a few core-code tweaks to fit with institutional needs (nothing major) and we have several add-ons which need updating and installing too. The upgrade process is neither taxing or easy - it sits somewhere gloriously in the middle.

What we do spend a lot of time on is testing. We have a rather ghastly excel spreadsheet which has some unit tests in (but they're far from perfect) and we run through the test, adding if it passed (or not) and comments, an example is below:

Image of testing Moodle

As you can see from the tabs it covers a lot of Moodle but using it is not only tediously dull but the interface Excel offers is TERRIBLE sad

My question is, as institutions develop large Moodle installations, each customising and tweaking it to their needs how is testing performed?

My vision is QA being performed in a much easier, more straightforward manor with better tests and using a better tool. All I can see so far is the idea of using JIRA - which may lend itself well to this application and perhaps even Unit Tests which can be shared for institutions to adopt, modify and use for their QA. Perhaps even building into a shared QA testing area, open to more people and allowing institutions to work together on testing (although this has complications due to local customisations)

Any advice or comment would be most welcome.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Jenner

Re: Institutional testing and QA?

by Danny Wahl -
We've been working on setting up an Atrium instance. It's a highly specialized Drupal 6 instance with a case tracker, blog, and "notebook".

For us- the "notebook" would contain your items from column "a" and sub-chapters from column "b". Notes about the tests go into the notebook, issues with the test are referenced by blog posts, and blog posts are discussed in their comments.

With each Moodle update the notebook is replicated, and then archived and the new one filled out, preserving the previous notes in an easy to access/reference place.

We use the case tracker for "emergency" problems- which is usually teachers/staff who broke/can't figure something out in Moodle.

I know it sounds a little abstract in two paragraphs, but look at it an play with it. We've been happy.