Theme not working on my moodle site

Theme not working on my moodle site

by I B -
Number of replies: 12
Hello everyone.
I've downloaded the Dark Blue Theme for my moodle site. I've tested it on my localhost there were no problems. But when I tried to install it on my moodle site it didn't work, in fact a blank screen was all i got.

In the Theme Selector page, the preview didn't work either and the theme name is in red color and says darkb (Moodle 1.4)

The moodle version I have on the site is 1.9.3 while on the localhost I have 1.9.8

should I just upgrade my site to the latest version? or is it something else?

thank you in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to I B

Re: Theme not working on my moodle site

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi IB,

I've just tested this theme and it uploads OK. I use FTP software to upload all my files to the server. I'm also running the latest 1.9.8 version of Moodle, so it might be that you need an upgrade, especially if you had no problems with your Localhost.

By the way there appears to be two versions of the theme included in the download. One for PC and one for MAC. I loaded the PC version.

Hope this helps?

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by I B -
thank you Mary.
I installed moodle 1.9.8 to a different folder (no upgrade, clean install) and once again added the darkb theme and I faced the same problem sad
In reply to I B

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I think the problem may be in the way you are installing both Moodle and Theme. Whichever method you use you must use the same for both.

I use FTP client, you may us some other method. The only instances where this particular problem occurs is when installing Moodle via the host server Control Panel and then installing the theme via FTP. This seems to cause some sort of conflict. I don't know why, but it does.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by I B -
this is really weird because I use an FTP client (FileZilla) for everything!

thank you for your time Mary.
In reply to I B

by Mary Evans -
I've just uploaded this Dark Blue theme to my server and it worked first time. I also loaded another theme, Aardvark Pro 1.2, which is causing problems for some users, and nothing odd happened with that theme either, so my conclusion in all of this is it must be server side where your particular problem is. Have you contacted your Host company? Perhaps they may be able to shed some light on the problem?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by John St -
Make sure you set the linux permissions on this theme to the proper permissions or else you will get a blank page...
In reply to John St

by I B -
how do I do that John?
In reply to I B

by Navin Dutta -
Most certainly its a permissions problem.

If you re using FTP client like Filezilla. While on your theme folder, right click and put permissions to be 755.

Make sure you check recurse into sub-directories checkbox!

If you have shell access, while logged in as root you can do the same using this command

Assuming your theme is httpdocs/theme/mytheme

#chown -R apache:apache /httpdocs/theme/mytheme

#chmod -R 755 /httpdocs/theme/mytheme

All the Best!!
In reply to I B

by Mary Evans -
That's why I asked if you had you been in touch with your Host company. If you don't know how to set privileges on your server, your host company can do it for you as part of their Technical Support.

Navin has given you some instructions, but they mean nothing to me, because my site's File Manager works differently, in that I can physically set each and ever file's permission, either individually or globally at the click of a button.

Site administration is something I'm still learning about, and I tend to tackle problems when they arise, fortunately they are few and far between.

I hope some of this is of help to you?

Regards

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by I B -
I have used chmod like you suggested with FileZilla, all the folders permissions are changed to 755 but still nothing!

themes.jpg

In reply to I B

by Navin Dutta -
Two questions

1. Are you trying to install Moodle 1.4 theme on some other version of Moodle?

2. If 1. doesnt apply for you, that is you are using same version of theme for the same version moodle then you should check if apache has the ownership of those files.

To give the apache the ownership of your darkb theme

#chown -R apache:apache /httpdocs/moodle/theme/darkb
In reply to Navin Dutta

by I B -
I guess it's down to apache then!
thank you!