JCloze-based QuizPorts hang when using FindIt (b), single attempt and time limits

JCloze-based QuizPorts hang when using FindIt (b), single attempt and time limits

by Jim Ranalli -
Number of replies: 8
Hi Gordon,

Like Deborah, I'm having a problem with QuizPorts not advancing, but I suspect mine has a different cause.

I'm creating long chains of single-item JClozes that are configured to output in the FindIt(b) format. In these items, students must study a given sentence and then, using a dictionary embedded in the page, identify an error of grammatical collocation (obviously by clicking on it) and then fix it using information from the dictionary. For research purposes I'm using a time limit with each item and allowing students only a single attempt.

Here's the problem: sometimes students get hung up researching the dictionary and if time runs out before they've clicked on anything, the QuizPort hangs. Clicking on the Check or Hint buttons won't do anything and there's no OK button to click. The only option is to leave the page, and they've got no more quiz attempts. This happens with every browser I've tested. Any ideas how to fix it?

Best,

Jim
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Ranalli

Re: JCloze-based QuizPorts hang when using FindIt (b), single attempt and time limits

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Jim,

That's an interesting use of FindItb. Is it visible anywhere or only for your students? Which dictionary do you embed?

Sorry I don't think I can help with your problem - though you do know you can add a "Give up" button, don't you?

I've used FindItb in Quizport with no problems but I haven't used a timer.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: JCloze-based QuizPorts hang when using FindIt (b), single attempt and time limits

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Jim,
I would be interested to know if the QuizPort "Report" page for these students shows that the status for these quiz attempts as "timed-out" or "in progress". I believe it is the former, in which case the browser is correctly sending the results, but QuizPort is not realizing that it has to send the next quiz.

I am investigating this issue and Deborah's quizzes at this very moment. I will let you know what I find out.

regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Jim Ranalli -
Actually, it says "in progress" for these items, Gordon.
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Jim Ranalli -
Hi Glenys,

Unfortunately these exercises are in a closed course, but I'm working on a preview version that will be open to guests. The dictionary we use is Longman (www.ldoceonline.com).

Best,

Jim
In reply to Jim Ranalli

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Jim,
thanks for the extra info.

I found one thing which I think could be causing this problem. One of the settings was being misread and so the browser was trying to send the results using AJAX rather than using a normal form submit as it should.

I have fixed that particular problem, and so I would be grateful if you could download the new QuizPort scripts, install them on your server and let me know if the situation has improved.

I am continuing to investigate and trying to confirm that timed FindIt(b) activities work on my server.

thanks
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Jim,
as you suspected, the cause of the "timed out" FindIt quizzes not reporting results and not moving on was different from the cause of Deborah's white screens and hung quizzes.

I believe I have fixed the timers on FindIt(a) and FindIt(b). Please could you download the latest QuizPort module and install it. You will need to visit Site adminsitration -> Notifications which will initiate the automatic removal of previous FindIt quizzes from the QuizPort cache.

Please let me know how you get on.

thanks
Gordon

by Jim Ranalli -
Hi Gordon,

We're getting somewhere. The report page now lists the items in question as "Timed out" rather than "Incomplete".

A few remaining issues, though: the QuizPort still hangs if nothing's been clicked at the point the clock runs out. If at this point students click in the exercise or press Check or Hint and then try to refresh, they go directly to the "Quiz Attempt Not in Progress" page. If instead they don't click in the exercise at all but refresh directly, they get a second crack at the item and then, if they get the answer right, it goes to the "Quiz Attempt Not in Progress" page.

In either case, resuming the QuizPort from that point is not intuitive. Refreshing the page does nothing. Students have to go back to the main course page in order to get going again or else click on the QuizPort title in the breadcrumb navigation.

I've set you up as an admin in my site in the course in case you'd like to take a look. The QuizPort is "Practice Batch 2."

Best,

Jim
In reply to Jim Ranalli

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Jim,
thanks forthe feedback. I think I found the cause of the problem for the FIndIt quizzes that time out. Please could you download the latest version of QuizPort, 2008033168, and let me know if that improves things.

regards
Gordon