Use Drizzle instead of MySQL database

Use Drizzle instead of MySQL database

by Ricardo De la Garza -
Number of replies: 3
Does anybody has give a try yo Drizzle at www.Drizzle.org? Looks very promising to replace MySQL on cloud, multi server installations.

Drizzle is a community-driven project based on the popular MySQL DBMS that is focused on MySQL's original goals of ease-of-use, reliability and performance.

They are testing Joomla, SugarCRM, Durpal among others on Drizzle. We should include Moodle too. Specialy if we are interested on large multi servers cluster, where the Database become the bottleneck.

The Drizzle Vision

When it’s ready, Drizzle will be a modular system that’s aware of the infrastructure around it. It does, and will run well in hardware rich multi-core environments with design focused on maximum concurrency and performance. No attempt will be made to support 32-bit systems, obscure data types, language encodings or collations. The full power of C++ will be leveraged, and the system internals will be simple and easy to maintain. The system and its protocol are designed to be both scalable and high performance.

Keep the Good Stuff, Dump the Bad

When people first discover Drizzle one of the first things they want to know is how it’s different from MySQL. Some love MySQL and some hate it, and both sides have good reasons. MySQL is a mixed bag. Drizzle will re-think everything, keeping the best, and replacing or eliminating the worst. For example, MySQL has a data type called a 3-byte integer. Think about that for a moment. On today’s server hardware that does not make a whole lot of sense. In Drizzle, it’s gone. Poof. Take another example where MySQL allows you to send two queries together separated by a semicolon. This is widely abused as a security weakness in a multitude of application software. In Drizzle, an error is returned when you attempt this. Poof. This improvement eliminates an entire category of simple security attack vectors. If I listed every single difference this blog post would be way too long, so I’m going to highlight what I see as the best of the best:

1 – Micro-Kernel Design, with modular interfaces to plug in features and functions without touching the core code. API’s for Replication, Storage Engines, Logging, Authentication, Client Protocols, etc.
2 – No triggers or stored procedures. That stuff is bloat as done in MySQL, and Drizzle has other ways to deal with these needs. These capabilities can be added in later as needed such that they are done right.
3 – Only UTF8 support, not a multitude of language encodings and collations. Keep it simple. This is the web.
4 – Way Less Source Code, where MySQL has well over a million lines of code, Drizzle is just under 300K lines.
5 – Drizzle Client Protocol, that’s pluggable and Asynchronous capable with built-in sharding support and built-in checksum support and BSD licence so you can package it in commercial software with no license drama.
6 – Default Storage Engine is InnoDB, for ACID compliance but others can still be used. MyISAM is gone. Long live the Queen!
7 – Pluggable AAA, so integrating with your LDAP user database through PAM is simple as pie, if if you don’t want any auth (think memcached) just don’t load the plugin, and get a nice performance boost.
8 – Replication will be everything you ever wanted in a replication system. You hate MySQL replication? You now love Drizzle.
9 – Logging is pluggable so you can log to Syslog, a query analyzer, Gearman, or whatever you want to plug in.
10 – Query Rewriting is supported. If you have a misbehaving application, you can fix it at the database if desired.
11 – The Data Dictionary is redone so that no internal tables materialize, and there is only a single code execution path. This means all your base run faster.
12 – FRM Files are Gone. Yep, ever been snagged by the contents of an FRM file not matching what’s in the database? Cry no more.
13 – The MySQL Client Protocol is supported so you can use Drizzle with most applications without modification.
14 – It’s Easy to Build from Source. Ever tried to compile MySQL from source. Hah! Yeah, drizzle builds like butter.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ricardo De la Garza

Re: Use Drizzle instead of MySQL database

by corprew reed -
I'm going to give getting this working/tested a shot during OpenSourceBridge -- http://osbridge.org. Is there a test suite for moodle that would enable one to say whether or not it was fully working on a given db?
In reply to corprew reed

by loic jeannin -

Hello,

Have you tried recently to do so ? I've been able to have a basic moodle instance running on drizzle and I'd really like to know if anyone else is trying to do so.

I've used a dump (drizzledump) of an existing instance of moodle (on mysql). Then I took out some init request (SET NAMES and SET sql_mode), and it seems to work as expected until now.
The version I'm using is drizzle 2011-10-27

In reply to Ricardo De la Garza

by Sekahr m -

what is the flow in drizzle database.From client to database?

How replication will handled?

plz help me..

Thanks,

sekhar