APC PHP Accelerator with Moodle?

APC PHP Accelerator with Moodle?

by Pauli Borodulin -
Number of replies: 4
Has anyone tried using APC (accelerator) with Moodle?

It seems to be the only accelerator that has been updated this year. Turck MMCache doesn't work with Moodle and is dead and PHP Accelerator seems to be quite dead too -- it has some nasty bugs and developers have not released new version for a year now.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pauli Borodulin

Re: APC PHP Accelerator with Moodle?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Turck should work fine with Moodle, I adapted the problematic code in 1.4 to fix that.

I've not tried APC but I can't imagine it would have problems.

I'm still using PHPA with good success on PHP 4.3.x.  What bugs do you know about?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Pauli Borodulin -
So all the filters should work now even with Turck? I have try it again now smile Last tried it with 1.3.1. Thanks for the info.

PHPA has a bad habbit of going in to a state where it says "cache set to reinitialize" and it stops caching. When trying to do 'phpa_cache_admin -r', phpa_cache_admin segfaults and the situation stays the same. I have to restart Apache to make it work again. Few others are complaining about this on PHPA forums too. On our SMP machine it happens too often (almost every day).
In reply to Pauli Borodulin

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
>>>"Turck MMCache doesn't work with Moodle and is dead"

Really? Am I mistaken or did I hear on a recent thread that the Turck MMCache bug was fixed--the problem with a media filter is OK now.

As for the Mac servers, Server Logistics just came out with a new PHP package that includes Turck MMCache. I am eager to try it. Not so dead it seems.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Pauli Borodulin -
Martin just told that the problem was fixed *in Moodle* (ie. replaced the problematic part of the code). Turck has not been fixed as far as I know.

Reasons to believe that Turck is somewhat dead:
- No new versions for a year (last version was released by dstogov)
- No replies to questions on SF.net forums about problems
- No replies to questions about status of development on the forums (few people have even promised to contribute money for the project!)
- No CVS activity for 5 months

It seems that there's not really people working on it. Sure Server Logistics can come out with a new PHP package that includes Turck MMCache. The old version. smile That doesn't mean Turck would still be even actively developed. The source looks quite awful too sad APC looks much better imho.