Reset not implemented for certificates?

Reset not implemented for certificates?

by Kevin Freeborn -
Number of replies: 3
I have been building and internally testing a course. We have used the certificate activity (working great, thanks). My hope was that when I am finished testing the course I could use the reset feature to clear out all of the current users before opening it up to others.

I am using Moodle 1.95+ Build 20090716

When I go to reset the Certificate says "Rest Not Implemented".

I can remove all other evidence of the 'test users' using the Reset feature. How can I permanently remove their certificate information?

Thanks for your help.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Freeborn

Re: Reset not implemented for certificates?

by Raymond Fürst -
Several ideas come into my mind on this.

You can delete the certificate activity (or make it invisible) and create a new one for the 'live' course.

Or you can use database tools or phpmyadmin to delete the database entries of that certificate (dangerous open-heart-surgery, know what you are doing!)

You might also consider backing up the couse without users and user data. After restoring you have a fresh course.

I generally develop courses in a seperate "workshop" course area. After testing I backup the course and use the backup-data as a template for restoring. I often have multiple copies of the same course.
I use special users for testing so they do not interfere with 'real' users.

In reply to Raymond Fürst

by Kevin Freeborn -
I like the sound of your 3rd option. So that would mean that after the testing I would:

1. Back-up the data without users and user data which gets rid of unwanted users and their grades, certificates, forum posts etc.;
  2. Restore to the same course which results in a clean start for production use.
Thanks.
In reply to Kevin Freeborn

by Raymond Fürst -
Step 1: Yes, back-up this way
Step 2: No. Restore the data to a /new/ course for production use.
You will have two courses with the same contents. The first course will have test-users, the second new course has an empty roster.

If you restore backup-data into a new course, you can pick a course area the course will be restored into and you should enter a new longname and shortname for the course. The original names are used as a default.

My development courses have names like "Analysis (Template)" in long and "ANA" in short. After the testing I backup this course and restore it using names like "Analysis (Group 1)" / "ANA-1".