Office Files 2007

Office Files 2007

by Ansley Higgins -
Number of replies: 2

Hi All

Am just testing moodle out and some of my students upload xlxs docs which I can not view? Any ideas whats going on or can our system only cope with what MS software we have loaded on the server?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ansley Higgins

Re: Office Files 2007

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there and welcome! Traditionally, technical questions are answered in the Using Moodle forums and this Lounge is kept for more social chat - but I will have a go anyway. If your Moodle is the latest version it should show MS Word 2007 docs but only if you have 2007 installed on your school/establishment network. If your place only has MS Office 2003 then you won't be able to view them - Moodle doesn't have a system in place to convert them. The best thing is either to download a 2007 viewer from the Microsoft website or else to encourage your students to save their work as an earlier version, if you don't have 2007 installed. If you DO have MS Office 2007 installed at your place, then you should be able to view the files so post back - in which case this this post might be better moved the General Problems forum
In reply to Ansley Higgins

Re: Office Files 2007

by ben reynolds -
Following Mary around smile Some other ways to view.

1. Upload to Google docs and then export as simple xls (I stole this from a useful Moodler in the Using Moodle forum).
2. If possible, right click and save target as . . . to your desktop xlsx files are much more pliant when they're on your desktop.
3. I find that I have to install the free Office Converter Pack twice before it actually will work.
4. Another really useful point. Don't allow spaces, hashmarks, ampersands, or anything that is not an alphanumeric in the file name.
5. Confirm that it really is an xlsx file. Save to desktop, then open in Notepad or Wordpad. Near the beginning or the very end, if you see the dread "xhtml," it is what the extension claims. Conversely, when you get a .doc or .xls that won't open, use this trick to see whether your user simply changed the extension without saving as.