Cron File

Cron File

by konstantinos mpartzeliotis -
Number of replies: 3
Hi all,
I wanted to ask you...the webserver i m running moodle doesnt support cron file. is anything i can do about it and what problems i ll have if i dont use at all ?
thank you in advance
Average of ratings: -
In reply to konstantinos mpartzeliotis

Re: Cron File

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. Would you like to post again in the Using Moodle course? This is mainly for social chat and you might get a quicker response over theresmile
In reply to konstantinos mpartzeliotis

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Actually I would recommend having a look at Cron. In particular, notice that "the machine performing the cron does not need to be the same machine that is running Moodle. For example, if you have a limited web hosting service that does not have a cron service, then you might choose to run cron on another server or on your home computer. All that matters is that the cron.php file is called regularly." As Mary indicated, the Using Moodle forum is a better place to ask such questions but hopefully this will get you started. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Marc Grober -
Because people troll the forums for answers (look in the docs!) I wanted to add a caveat to Anthony's post. While itight be trivial to invoke cron.php from another system via wget, it is not trivial if you want to do this via CLI.

Any "solution" should be memorialized in the docs, so that should a user's first stop, and those with solutions should be recording them in the appropriate doc pages.

I should also note that the OP's initial suggestion that "cron" is not supported is demonstrably untrue in any *ix OS (as opposed the contention that the ISP does not offer access to same, which may be dubious but true.) It is always helpful for someone asking questions to demonstrate their efforts prior to posting so that assistance doesn't have to start with "Could you please explain what you are talking about and did you read the docs?"