What did Mrs Simmers do?

What did Mrs Simmers do?

by Gordon McLeod -
Number of replies: 7

I'm intrigued - and excited. Perhaps I should be annoyed that a school discussion has ended up on the world forum, but no... I'm not interested in the topic, but in the participation shown by the students - contributing, discussing, sharing views - even debating. In other words exactly what we want learners to do, and lot's of it.

So what I'm wondering is - why is it working so well?
Is it just a great book, a good leading question, first time enthusiasm for online chat - or is there something going on in the background for this group?

I'm interested in hearing what others have done to really stimulate an online discussion - what makes a forum come alive?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gordon McLeod

Re: What did Mrs Simmers do?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I like to think perhaps this sort of discussion is going on with children in Moodles all around the world -it's just that we can't see them as they are password protected - Mrs Simmers by mistake (and it happens to lots of people) logged into the main Moodle instead and her class followed her, and so we are seeing real life Moodle use in public. (Incidentally I have emailed and DM'd and put a message on her forum just to explain, but at the same time we are all enjoying the contributions.) I don't think there's anything going on in the background other than the fact that her class is keen to participate online and they enjoyed the book! Does their young age have something to do with it?
In reply to Gordon McLeod

by ben reynolds -
I think Mary's pretty much got the reason.

For our 4th & 5th graders, we provide started questions like Ms. Simmers's and ask the kids to contribute 3 or more posts to any of the questions PLUS a response to at least one fellow student.

We've got a classroom with 11 kids in it, and the proportion of on target responses is about the same. But, we have a separate space for kids to get off topic, like that crack about some girl's brother likes Mary big grin

In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
What did Mrs Simmers do?
Just to be clear and open (wink) she emailed me specifically asking if the whole thing could be deleted - so it has.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -
It occurs to me that, if there is a terms of service agreement to use moodle.org (I can't find one), incursions of underaged children would be a violation of same, which then empowers moderators to remove their profiles and their posts.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alex Smith -

Is it slightly depressing that I am sad it has been deleted?

It provided an excellent couple of minutes of procrastination for me, and really brightened my day smile

In reply to Alex Smith

by Mary Cooch -
I am sad too; it did brighten up our day, as children's use of Moodle forums frequently brightens up my day smile But the lady herself asked for it to be taken off so I suppose it is right that it went.
Attachment childrenforum.png
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alex Smith -

Thats fair enough really. Like people have said opening primary school children up to online forums may be something parents would frown upon.

Brilliant how such a simple question can promote such an enthusiastic response.

Kudo's to Mrs Simmers for creating a new wave a Moodle fanatics smile