Newbie question about themes?

Newbie question about themes?

by Ket Kod -
Number of replies: 3
Hey Guys,

I am new to moodle and want to customize/twik a moodle theme. I have downloaded the theme from this link http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?id=6552 and have added it to the /theme/ folder on my moodle server. I have also activated it from the moodle admin site and the new theme is applied.

My question is, I want to further customize the new theme in terms of the font colour, apply a different border colour and other small changes. I think most of my changes will be css related. Could someone plz guide me on the best way to do this as I do not want to make a mess in the css file. Should I go straight into the css files of the new theme or do I create a new css and simply change the css tags in the new css so it cascades of the old css tags.

Could someple plz point me in the right direction to customize the look and feel of the new theme?

Thanks,
Ket smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ket Kod

Re: Newbie question about themes?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Krt:

What I usually do is make sure I save the zip file of the theme. That way I know I will always have a copy of the original in case I mess up the customisation.

CSS modifications are the easiest to manage, it is also a good place to start to more about CSS too.

Best practice is to make a working copy of your CSS file, the one you will use to test the changes. Keep the original in another folder somewhere on your computer.

Now just systematically change the border color, or the font color, or what ever else you want to make changes to. It's also good to make copies of the changes you make in case you accidentally delete them at a later stage of your customisation. This can save time especially if you lose it all.

There are lots of Moodle Docs which you will find helpful.

Mary