How can i use single moodle for different schools

How can i use single moodle for different schools

by Alfred Cheung -
Number of replies: 9

Dear all

I am going to use the moodle for the school based project.

Which means that different school have the own moodle. There are two problems for me now.

1) How can i install one moodle in sever but for different school to use?(All of them have its own moodle)

2) how to communicate our member system to moodle member system.

Any friends have these kind of expereience, pls share to us.

Thanks

Alfred from hong kong

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alfred Cheung

Re: How can i use single moodle for different schools

by Dennis Daniels -
The application TikiWiki allows that kind of multiple setups of sites with one install. It is based on Smarty. Smarty has been batted around a bit as a solution to the 'fixedness' of Moodle.

hth
Dennis
In reply to Dennis Daniels

by Alfred Cheung -

Dear All

thanks for your reply.

Actually, our website wanna hold some project for different schools in hk. So I wanna know if i provide give one moodle for each school. 

What can i do

1)one PHP copies and one Mysql copies

2)one PHP copies and many mysql copies

3)many php copies and many mysql copies

Alfred

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You could have one set of moodle php code for each school and a separate mysql database for each school.

Or you could use the same database for each school but use a different prefix for the tables. Thus you might use the prefixes as

mdl1_
for one scholl
and mdl2_
for another
(or perhaps use more meaningful names than that).

I think it would be more difficult to use the same executing php moodle code for more than one school as the config.php file contains information on various directories and the details of the database.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Alfred Cheung -

Many Thanks for your advise

How Can i use the same table for different school?

Do u have the experience that your system already have the member system. should i also create the member in moodle and using relationship table to map with our member db. Or simple just change the login to check our db member table is better?

Alfred  

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
By creating two sets of tables with different prefixes you will effectivly create two moodle database installations.

Thus the one moodle might have the tables as

mdl1_users
mdl1_quiz
(or whatever the real table names are)
and
the other would be
mdl2_users
mdl2_quiz

It is a bit like having multiple databases (which is of course another option).

by Chris Tebb -
I'd go for the multiple moodles multiple databases to keep things simple.

You can run them all off the same database server and the same web server though.

yourdomain.com/school1 running off database moodle_school1

yourdomain.com/school2 running off database moodle_school2

etc... This keeps the administration simple, providing of course the schools are sufficiently different to require their own moodle's

If you are only running a few services for each school, you could just run one moodle and give each school a "course category" to use.

It all depends on the users, are some users shared across schools? or does every school have completely seperate users?

Chris.

by Brian King -
for 1) and 2), see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=13211 . The system presented by Martin Langhoff in that thread works well for me.

for 3) - just use a different directory for each one - e.g. /etc/www/school1, /etc/www/school2, /etc/www/school3.  Install a copy of the Moodle code in each directory.

3) is the easiest to set up, and allows flexibility for upgrading moodle for one school and not for the others.  management overhead can increase though - if you ever need to make a change to the code, you'll find yourself having to change the code for each of your installed moodles.

1) and 2) take a bit of work to set up the first time, but the management work later is reduced. 

by Marcus Green -
Are you wanting to have one set of moodle php code executing but pointing to two different databases and two different directory structures?

What is your member system based on, and what would you like to be done in the way of communicating?