Not alphabetized

Not alphabetized

by Caryl Gordon -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Moodle gang,

We are using Moodle 1.9.5. I have a class that has three students with the same last name. They names are alphabetized correctly in the grade book, however, in the Attendance Module they are reversed alphabetized by their first name. For example, let's say the last name is Gordon. The first names are Caryl, Sara and Terry. Terry has uploaded a profile picture. When I take attendance, the names are listed as: Terry, Sara and then Caryl.

Any idea on why this is happening? Could the profile picture have anything to do with this?

Thanks,
Caryl Gordon
Center for Teaching & Learning

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Caryl Gordon

Re: Not alphabetized

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Caryl! I don't know that I have ever experienced this issue! I suppose I usually have multiple students with the same first name, but not the same surname.

Did you click on the "surname" link, which appears at the top of the attendance taking form? And this did not help?

I don't have an answer for you, but if you do some experimenting, please post here with the results.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

Re: Not alphabetized

by Caryl Gordon -

Hi A.T.,

The "Surname" link does indeed put the last names in alpha order. However, it does not perform a secondary sort by first name.

We use Banner for enrollments and registrations. Banner assigns students an ID and that ID is ported into Moodle. It seems the Attendance module uses this ID number when there are duplicate last names because the students are listed in numerical ascending order.

Thanks for your help!

Caryl