Attempt status never shows "Completed"

Attempt status never shows "Completed"

by Jim Ranalli -
Number of replies: 6
Hi Gordon,

Sorry if you've already addressed this issue elsewhere. I skimmed the forums but couldn't find any reference to it.

Students are completing my QuizPorts, sometimes with a perfect score, but the Attempt Status only registers "Abandoned" or "In Progress". I've just tested one myself, got 100% and was taken to the exit screen, but the Results page still says that attempt was abandoned. Any ideas?

Best,

Jim
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jim Ranalli

Re: Attempt status never shows "Completed"

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Jim,
I'll come and have look later today.
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
As you say, this is something of a mystery. All the quizzes are completed but all the unit attempts get marked as abandoned, so that unit never gets set to completed.

Hmm ... I will experiment on my server a little ...thoughtful
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Jim,
there was a bug in the code that sets the unit attempt status. Even though all the quizzes were completed, the unit attempt was set to abandoned, then since no unit attempt was ever completed, the unit grade was never set to completed.

I have fixed the bug. It affected QuizPorts in which no quiz had a post-condition that explicitly specified "End of unit".

I am just checking to see if it is possible to automatically reset to "completed" the status any unit attempts that are incorrectly marked as "abandoned".

Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Dear Jim,
I have modified the update QuizPort script so it will search through your QuizPorts and fix any that are like "Introduction to DVL: Part I" on your site, namely there is no quiz with an explicit "End of unit" post-condition, and consequently some of the unit attempts are marked as "abandoned" when they should be "completed", and some of the unit grades are marked as "in progress" when they should be "completed".

Please download and install the latest QuizPort when you have a chance:
Many thanks for reporting this problem and granting me access to your site so I could investigate approve

all the best
Gordon

by Jim Ranalli -
Many thanks as always, Gordon.

Jim
In reply to Jim Ranalli

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Jim,
I see you updated the QuizPort module on your site - great!

But ...

... when I looked at the report page of the "Introduction to DVL: Part I" QuizPort and found the unit grades are still "In progress" and the unit attempts are still "Abandoned" surprise

It seems that you added the "End of unit" post-condition to this QuizPort before upgrading. Unfortunately, the QuizPort upgrade script was looking for QuizPorts that did *not* have "End of unit" post-conditions, so it did not change anything on this QuizPort sad

If you want to redo the upgrade so that it fixes this QuizPort, try this ...
  • login as Moodle admin and remove the "End of unit" post-condition on all QuizPorts that you wish to be fixed by the QuizPort upgrade script
  • with your favorite DB administration tool, e.g. phpMyAdmin, locate the "quizport" record in the "mdl_modules" table, and set the value to "2008033154"
  • login as Moodle admin and initiate the upgrade by clicking the "Notifications" link in the Site admin block on the front page of your Moodle site
  • when the upgrade is finished, you can add the "End of unit" post conditions back in if you want
regards
Gordon