Issues using Moodle from a home environment

Issues using Moodle from a home environment

by J McAlea -
Number of replies: 2

As you are probably aware, using Moodle from a home PC can be problematic. Using an older Browser or missing plug-ins can be a pain. Is anyone aware of any useful links which list possible issues and suggested solutions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to J McAlea

Re: Issues using Moodle from a home environment

by ben reynolds -
Hi J,
My division of our distance ed program has about 3000 enrollments a year. The other divisions account for another 7000. Not all are in Moodle.

I see very few technical problems with Moodle 1.9.5. We do urge people to upgrade browsers, but that is not programmatic, just when we see someone with something like IE 6 or Netscape 7 (not in years for Netscape).

In the days when we used WebCT 4.1, we would have the students go through the WebCT browser check before starting a course. We don't really do that anymore on the humanities side (my division). We have a Technical Requirements page that is pretty low key -- http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/tech-requirements.html

If we run into a tech problem, we ask students to fill out a form http://ctyjhu.org/cde/support/ which provides us with more information than is apparent to the user.

We are a totally tuition supported organization, which means we don't like refunds. Typically, I have 1 user a term (we have 5 terms) who gets a refund on the basis of tech problems (which are usually not equipment problems but rather an error between the keyboard and the chair, typically the parent of the student).

Bottomline: you can probably create a simple web page to check for older browsers and missing plugins. You might want to start with our tech form.
In reply to J McAlea

Re: Issues using Moodle from a home environment

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
We have over one thousand students using Moodle from home as well as in school. Over the past five years I have not heard a complaint (of course, few people complain in Japan). In my experience, Moodle works very well with IE 6+ and Firefox-all versions. The only problem we have had is Safari, which is not compatible with the HTML editor used in many Moodle activities (you can still use the activities in plain text of course).