Online Text - Language grading & Markin..

Online Text - Language grading & Markin..

by Jean-Luc Delghust -
Number of replies: 1
Hi all,

I searched the forums a little and couldn't really come up with an answer to my questions... The last it was discussed was here but the discussion seems dead now (except if I didn't look well)

Here's the situation: we use Moodle for language teaching, and for written assignments we usually set up Online Text assignments. We decided against uploading of files as some files because of compatibility issues and the occasional virus finding its way into the assignment.

Now, a few of our colleagues use Markin to grade the assignments. It uses button sets with pre-defined comments to indicate the type of error to students (e.g. Preposition Error, or Word Order...). You can also add feedback & comments. Finally, you get statistics of the errors.
It's a great tool, but using it in combination with Moodle can be quite time-consuming, as you need to copy the student's text into markin, mark it up, save it as RTF and then copy-paste that back into the comment field in Moodle.

On shorter assignments, I skip the Markin and use a different colour for my comments.

So I was wondering:
- has anybody else used this system and do you have recommendations on how to speed things up?
- How hard would it be to replace the html editor that appears when you grade an assignment by a different editor that would be tuned to insert tags much like Markin does (e.g. you select a word, then click a button and the appropriate tag would show)? Maybe create a new type of assignment just for that
In our case, that HTML editor should be different depending on the language used (we teach different languages, although English would be the priority), and of course button sets would be fixed for each language... Statistics would be interesting, but not a priority.

Unfortunately I'm no programmer, so I have to ask for help instead of trying out things...
Any help or suggestions would be welcome smile
Thanks in advance!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean-Luc Delghust

Re: Online Text - Language grading & Markin..

by Maryel Mendiola -
Hi Jean-Luc D

About quality grades I recommend you use OUTCOMES so you'll have quantity and quality grades for each assignment ;)

I'd like to share the way I use to work with my students:

I had to take care the uploading files too . . .

So I decide to ask them to create a Blog for our subject (Blogspot, wordpress, etc) at their Blogs they have to upload all files for assignments

In our Moodle I create a Data Base activity where they type the URL of the specific assignment, comments are allowed, etc . . . DB are the most versatile activity

And joining DB and outcomes you can grade each entry with dropdown menu instead mark

Now I'm looking forward to use GoogleWave as Moodle complement too ;)

cheers