Algebra Server

Algebra Server

by Larry Jones -
Number of replies: 8

Here is a movie demo on my Algebra Server

http://www.pirsqrt.com/Movies/AlgebraServer/Demo1a/TSDemo1b.html

This is just part of my online math learning system.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Larry Jones

Re: Algebra Server

by Cristina Berisso -

Hello Larry,

From reading your latest postings I am a bit confused about what you are offering to the Moodle Math community. Are you sharing with us Math instructors the material you have created and your expertise in STACK for free or for a price? So I'm not clear if we can use your material without charge in our classes. Could you please cast some light on this issue?

I am asking this because when I joined this forum I thought it was intended for free help to Moodle users and not a business advertisement agency. May be I'm wrong and some one could help me understand the forum's actual philosophy.

Thank you

Cristina

In reply to Cristina Berisso

by Mauno Korpelainen -

As a moderator of this forum I was thinking the same and http://docs.moodle.org/en/Policy_on_Advertising tells that 

"To keep these sites enjoyable for everyone to use we have some policies on advertising that all participants should understand:..."

All participants are welcome (as part of their self-disclosure to the community) to write about and even link to their company and other commercial affiliations as part of their description in their moodle.org user profile. It helps us all understand who we are speaking with.

All participants are welcome to write about and link to commercial products or services (Moodle-related or not, yours or otherwise) if it's in the natural context of a discussion such as an answer to a question. This is not seen as advertising.

No-one should post unsolicited and blatant advertisements for products and services with no appropriate context. Moderators will delete any such blog entries, forum discussions, docs or other unwanted content when they find it. This applies to Moodle services just as much as it applies to diet pills and stock tips.

Official advertising is designed to support the Moodle project.

In my opinion it does not support any way Moodle project if "Larry" wants to "make some money" with open source tools and for example this post is not an answer to any question. Forums of "Using moodle" course are primarily ment to be used for free support and discussions - not for advertising or selling anything. Personally I don't like this kind of puffing at all... angry

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Larry Jones -

Just curious.  If a teacher uses Moodle(DragMath, etc.) in a classroom to help students, does the teacher get paid?

Ramon(Wirius) has a lot posts on this site.

In reply to Larry Jones

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Teachers usually get paid for teaching - no matter what tools they use to help students in learning. Some employers may pay extra for e-learning particularly in all sorts of pilot projects or extra for administration of moodle sites but it's up to employers.

Ramon knows the rules. After some private messages I even promised to mention Wiris myself if it's in the natural context of a discussion such as an answer to a question.

In reply to Larry Jones

by Marc Grober -
And the posts promoting such products are a constant source of tension. But the lesson, if one is to be found (and I mean no disrespect to those who offer free services such as Wiris, dimdim and the hundreds of others that one might come across in a broad survey of moodle inegrations) is that offering something free, with an option for something not, is apparently acceptable. In sales this runs from a "loss leader" to the nefarious bait and switch, but the idea is the same: get 'em on the lot, and leave the rest to me", lol (again, no disrespect to the many fine folk who do offer both free and commercial products that may integrate w/moodle.)

You r in a sense in the dame position as a Linux value added reseller who is barred for using the word Linux and advertising in any forum. Opensuse is free as is dekiwiki ;) Soooo offer a free option that most will find too much trouble, and then sell 'em up....

And note that I did not make a single reference to moodle.com in the above discussion.
In reply to Larry Jones

by Ramon Eixarch -
Hi all,

from WIRIS company, Maths for More, we try to be strict with the rules. As Mauno mentions we have had successful private conversations to build a shared view on how WIRIS team must participate in discussions at maths forum.

We try to help people in trouble (installing Open Source tools is sometimes soo hard smile) ) and, if suitable, mention our solutions.

WIRIS CAS, our calculation tool, is free for thousands of schools in the world (their government pay the license). If they show up in the Forum, we shall rememeber them that interesting fact.

I have to say that many times we could simply say: 'hi, if you have trouble with Open Source come and have a try with a good commercial solution.' We usually don't do that. If someone asks for solutions to a given problem is time for us to show our tools.
In reply to Ramon Eixarch

by Larry Jones -

Mauno, we need a little humor now.

I will give my twisted Algebra server (with 2 functions) to anyone using this group.  You will need to have Sage installed.  It uses Maxima.  You will need some skills (Python, Linux, PHP, javascript, html) in order to get it to function.

All I ask is to create two new functions and give the code back to me.

Send me an e-mail if you are interested.