Two levels of guest access?

Two levels of guest access?

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Number of replies: 3

As I was writing my reply to Matt's post it got me thinking about another recent discussion, which seems to be a kind of a boomerang question here. Every now and then somebody wants to open quizzes to guests, others might want to open forums to guests, etc.

This is just an idea for brainstorming (or a candidate for dying off, if there's no interest in this): why not extend the choice of guest access options and have the following three settings in a course:

• do not allow guests
  • allow non-participating guests (the way it is now)
  • allow participating guests (guests can post to a forum, take quizes, submit assignments, etc.) - this would be an answer to one of the FAQs in these forums (how to allow guests to take quizzes)

In the last case, all posts/quizzes/assignments/choices/etc. would be labelled as "Guest User"

What do you think about it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

Re: Two levels of guest access?

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Przemyslaw,

we have an other option now. Edit an anonymous user (name "anonym", Password 'anonym': some of us use "Mickey" and "Mouse")  to your course and inform in the description of the course about the login as anonymous user. Participants with this login can edit all activities.

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Ne Nashev -

It's good idea to emulate this desigion.

But for quality - system-level support for this user is needed - like 1) no access to change user details and 2) auto-login button in login screen.

And if this user exists no need to have alone guest user...

I think It is really must be a guest permissions in cource level

In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Michael Penney -
You may get things breaking when two guests take a quiz at the same time.

Esp. with timed quizzes, what happens when guest two starts a quiz before guest one is done taking it?