Math grant money

Math grant money

by Larry Jones -
Number of replies: 6

Is any school or individual interested in trying to apply for some of the money Obama has earmarked for math education?  I would like to collaborate.  I have just finished with very good math online learning system using Moodle as the manager, of course. 

Here is a demo movie

http://www.pirsqrt.com/Movies/EduLearningDemo1a/StackDemo1b.html

The sync with the sound is a little off, but you should get the idea.

Marc how the schools in Alaska?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Larry Jones

Re: Math grant money

by William Felton -
Larry, I love what you showed and I am very interested in anyway I can. I am currently a full time teacher but working on a thesis about online math education. I have had challenges with math quizzes and creating interesting math lessons online, but I like what you have put together. I briefly researched the STACK functionality for Moodle and was planning on working on it over the Summer. What kind of things do you have in mind? What do you need from me? Honestly, I am more interested in the technology than I am the money, but money is always a good thing too. smile

Willy Felton
In reply to William Felton

by Alice Keeler -
I love to collaborate.
I just got my masters degree in educational media design and technology. My thesis was on creating an online algebra curriculum using free and open source resources.

I use quia to create my quizzes, I love it. It works so nice!!!
www.quia.com

I currently teach math at a high school in California and also teach a period of online algebra for an online charter school.

Let's see what we can all do together.
In reply to Alice Keeler

by Marc Grober -
So what were your conclusions, Alice, in as much as while your thesis was on using open source resources you appear to be pimping quia, which is a fee based web resource and environment.
In reply to Larry Jones

by Marc Grober -
UAA and UAF math departments passed on any involvement with a STACK or Webwork server to be usedto support math instruction for teachers or students, as did the state math consortium-no surprise I guess when one looks at our state ed. stats. Largest district could not keep dragmath working and apparently couldn't manage user requests for math display technology.....

I will be talking to an online program in PNW this week and will see what interest there may be there....

Importance to me is making access to existing open tools simpler and tip o the hat to you for all the work you have been putting in integrating these apps.
In reply to Marc Grober

by Larry Jones -
Marc, keep in touch.  I had a little problem with my servers, but I think are fixed.  I am producing a movie just on the Stack question today.  The Stack multipart question is great.  It with the worked solution will help the math learning process.   I would like to make some money from all this work.  It is my day job now.