Hello to Virtual Learning Colleagues!

Hello to Virtual Learning Colleagues!

by Joseph Auciello -
Number of replies: 3

Hello.  I am writing this to "connect" ... for me to step up and collaborate with distinguised, and equally "obsessive" colleagues!  ....

Flat out, bottom line:  I am "nuts" about Moodle (M)! ... Moodling (writing courses) is my Primary Activity ... and the more I do, the more I learn, and then expand (exponentially) ... The more features I discover in M, and then implement them, allows me -- just about -- to write a course in just about any subject! .... What I mean is:  I can use M present information, which I can filter to avoid "TMI" ... M allows me to track Login Time, etc ... I can do "Attendance" with it .... It allows Instruction to be designed in Steps ...Questions can be "re-entrant" or "cherry-picked" (easiest first, learn while taking the Lesson, which is really a Lesson-Quiz, and, now, has become a Tutorial.) ...

Ride with my enthusiasm here: ... M is very Visual Friendly ... Quality Graphics in Tutorials creates "activity" ... It is Adaptive:  If you don't get it, look for clues, and come back and answer it ... It makes Learning a "Trek to Education!" ...  Add "Collaborative": Students earn Extra Credit for posting solutions ...  

M "goes with the flow" ... students "Copy and Paste", and social network.  So use Models / Templates for them to build on.   (I give them author create priveleges in a class website ... a "workshop" to post in!)

M "Measures" Learning, making Learning Accountable.  A tutorial can force a student to read it, study it, practice with a Model,  reply to  a Short Answer Quiz, get graded, and offer Pathways to Enriched or Remedial Learning!  ...  Virtual:  get info from the Web, sort of like the Taxi Cab quiz where you can call the "help" line.   Interactive:  This is big!  The more activity, the greater the involvment, the greater (I think) the Comprehension!

Summing up so far:  Virtual + Interactive + Visual + Adaptive + Collaborative + Evaluative (Measurable) could become the acronym of VIVACE!  ...

While there is some "playfull-ness" with the Words, I am very, very serious about M being a solution to the huge, epic Educational Crisis that the US is in!  In California, 1/3 of the kids don't graduate from High School!  ... This is a 33% Scrap Rate!  In Industry, if a Process had a 5% Scrap Rate, it would be shut down, and stabilized and brought into Control using the M's of Manufactuing:  (Retooling) Manpower, Machinery, Method, Materials, Management and Environment. 

While the crises is potentially a nation disaster,  like Robert Heinlien said, "For every crisis, there is a solution" and M is exactly the solution! ..

So every class has to be hybrid ... every lesson online ... students getting notebook computers .. working 24/7 ... earning points (like Learning Contracts) for courses ... then  when we add "Twittering",  Texting,  You-Tubing (these features are already coming to M, I think), we can capitalize on the "student styles" ... to modify them for Education! ... This is what I want ...

PS:  I was blessed to be able to write CAI Software for College English and Math at the U-Mass Grad. School of Education .. under Prof. "Hap" Peelle, bending programming languages to meet real classroom needs!

I have never seen a Course Management / Authoring System as powerful as M ... I have not hit any walls in developing any application Tutorial that I need!  Go Moodle.  That's the way.  Regards.  Joseph Auciello.  Prof. Computer Info. Systems.  LA Trade Tech College. joseph@auciello.net.     Out.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Auciello

Re: Hello to Virtual Learning Colleagues!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Joseph! You will find lots of similarly enthusiastic people on here - welcomesmile
In reply to Joseph Auciello

by Paula Clough -

Joseph,

Thank you for a dose of enthusiasm. I work with teachers in a K-12 system.  I am as enthusiastic as you... wish my entire job could be working with them in Moodle.  Unfortunately there are a other things I must do also. "Listening" to you though, I am thinking that I need to begin looking for other ways to pull it in...Thanks you got me started on a new track...

Have you checked out the demo site?  There is also a course contest going on if you want to share at http://coolcourses.moodle.org or in the Moodle Exchange.

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Ryan Jay -
Welcome to the community Joseph!