Glossary backup problem

Glossary backup problem

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there.  I just tried to restore a course with a glossary and a random glossary block. Everything in the course worked fine except the glossary (which has the right name ) has no entries, so nor does the block obviously. I tried restoring to a different moodle to double check but it is still empty - what have I missed here that is obvious? It's 1.9.5 to 1.9.5 by the way. I have backed up and restored lots of courses but not with a glossary before so there must be something I have failed to pick up on. Thanks (ps usually whenever I ask a question  on here, I find the answer myself within the hour so either way I am hoping for a resultsmile)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Glossary backup problem

by Paula Clough -

Mary,

When you backed up the course, did you allow it to save user info, etc.?  Since most glossaries are put  in by the participants, I believe you have to allow user data on that section.

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ah! I did wonder about that Paula - I will go back and do it again WITH user info smile (and let you know)
Right -well I am back sooner than I thought -if you allow user data then you have to allow users as well but I don't want to back up the users; just the course mixed
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Maryel Mendiola -
Hi Mary, Paula smile

I use to use random entries glossary Blocks, and did a backup without users (for CCC) and it happens that glossary didn't work . .

The way to resolve this is export entries and pack the xml into the backup, so when you restore the course, just import the xml
and VOILA!!! your entries are there . . even without users data ;)

Hugs and friendship greetings to both
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Maryel Mendiola

by Mary Cooch -
Aha! Because I wanted to include a glossary in CCC too -and I saw that other courses had got random glossary blocks working - so I wondered how they'd done it. Did they do what you advise me then? If so- I will make an entry to the CCC too smile
In reply to Maryel Mendiola

by Paula Clough -

I have exported the data and then imported it back in before....

I was looking at the reset option though... we can now chose not to delete the glossary info in the reset... That would take out the users after the back up if they are still there.

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Paula Clough -

Mary and Maryel,

Just an FYI... I did some playing around with our Moodle Glossaries... when I restored from the class backupfile and then chose to take out the user data on all but our glossaries, the glossary restored very well but no students were in the assign user list.  It also saved the pictures that the students had uploaded in the glossary entries.  When I export the files and then import, the pictures are not included.

cool

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Paula Clough

by Mary Cooch -
Thanks Paula - that's handy for future referencesmile
In reply to Paula Clough

by Maryel Mendiola -
Paula :D

Thank you so much for this tip, I'll try it for futures backups ;)

Hugs