Good score shown but no duration

Good score shown but no duration

by Glenys Hanson -
Number of replies: 5
Hi Gordon,

How is it possible to do an exercise in no time and get a good score?

In the screenshot below the first three students have spent a normal amount of time on doing a Text Reconstruction (WebRhubarb) exercises. The last three have apparently spent no time but have got good scores.

Is this a Moodle bug (gradebook, QuizPort or Hot Potatoes ???) or are they cheating? The only way I know how to cheat is to copy and paste the text into the text field but Moodle shows that's it's taken me a few seconds, not no duration at all. Is there another way to cheat?

You can see all the results for this exercise here: Unit 8: Exercise 14.

Cheers,
Glenys
Attachment 19-12-2009_19-40-49.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: Good score shown but no duration

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Glenys,
this is very interesting.

I went to have a look and it seems that quiz attempts had no duration associated with them.

I would very much like to look at the QuizPort tables in the database. Would it be possible to dump the QuizPort and send them to me. Alternatively, could you arrange for the phpMyAdmin module to be added to your Moodle site?
thanks
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Glenys,
thanks very much or sending me the QuizPort tables from your database.

I spent all day yesterday racking my brains and wrestling with this problem and finally was able to work out what was going on and come up with a solution. It could be that this problem has been going on for some time, but the good news is that the latest version of the QuizPort module (version 2008033159) should fix empty durations that are already in your database, and will prevent any new empty durations being added in the future.

The next time your QuizPort module is updated, the empty durations should be fixed.
many thanks again for alerting me to this problem approve
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Glenys Hanson -
Dear Gordon,

Thanks so much for fixing this. A whole day! I don't like to think of you working so hard and so long but in a way I'm proud to have presented you with a problem worthy of your intelligence. wink

I realise - for my students' peace of mind - I should have "chivvied" you on this earlier.

I'm waiting for the admin to update QuizPort.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Glenys - there's another (and worthy) forum thread on giving David Mudrak a Gold Star for his improving the workshop module - I think Gordon should get a Gold Star too for his devotion to Hotpotatoes and Quizport!wink
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gordon Bateson -
Dear Glenys and Mary,
thank you so much for your kind words.

The modules wouldn't be half what they are now without the energy and ideas of pioneers such as yourselves who are willing to take up the challenge, put the software through its paces and send in feedback, so thanks very much for all your efforts.

I will claim my Gold Star when TaskChain makes it into Moodle 2.x wide eyes. That is my Olympic challenge.

best regards
Gordon