Usability: Emailing all Moodle users

Usability: Emailing all Moodle users

di Peter Tepfer -
Numero di risposte: 9
Is there a way for a Moodle system administrator to email all moodle users?

Thanks!

Peter
Media dei voti:  -
In riposta a Peter Tepfer

Re: Usability: Emailing all Moodle users

di Nicolas Martignoni -
Immagine Core developers Immagine Documentation writers Immagine Particularly helpful Moodlers Immagine Plugin developers Immagine Testers Immagine Translators

Under Site > Administration, select Users > Accounts > Bulk User Actions. Then click Add all button under Selected user list. Finally, use the With selected users... dropdown menu and select Add / send message.

You'll have then the opportunity to write your message and send it.

In riposta a Nicolas Martignoni

di Peter Tepfer -
Thanks for the suggestion, Nicolas.

I am running 1.9.1.

With the selected users, my dropdown menu says:
Confirm
Delete
Display on Page
Download

It does not show the option for send message.
In riposta a Peter Tepfer

di Joseph Rézeau -
Immagine Core developers Immagine Particularly helpful Moodlers Immagine Plugin developers Immagine Testers Immagine Translators
Hi Peter,
Please upgrade to current moodle version (1.9.7) and you will see this:

Allegato image00.jpg
In riposta a Joseph Rézeau

di Jon Torrado -
Im using 1.9.7 and this option is not showing. Any ideas?

EDIT: I can see it inside a course (going to "participants"), but not from Administration menu, inside bulk actions.
In riposta a Jon Torrado

di Helen Foster -
Immagine Core developers Immagine Documentation writers Immagine Moodle HQ Immagine Particularly helpful Moodlers Immagine Plugin developers Immagine Testers Immagine Translators
Hi Jon,

You need to have site-wide Messaging enabled in Site Administration > Security > Site policies in order for it to appear as an option in bulk user actions (source: Bulk user actions).
In riposta a Helen Foster

di Joseph Rézeau -
Immagine Core developers Immagine Particularly helpful Moodlers Immagine Plugin developers Immagine Testers Immagine Translators

Thanks, Helen, for this piece of information thanks to which I've finally realized that the "email/message all users" feature works differently at site level for admin than at at course level for teachers.

At Course level

• teacher selects a number of users (usually students) (from the Participants list) and selects Add/Send message from the dropdown list...
    • if Administration Security Site policies Enable messaging system is set to Yes, those messages will be available to the students when they enter the course
    • if Administration Security Site policies Enable messaging system is set to No, those messages will be sent to the students' email address

At site level

• admin selects a number of users from Administration Users Accounts Bulk user actions
    • if Administration Security Site policies Enable messaging system is set to Yes,
      • the dropdown list With selected users... displays the Add/Send message option
      • those messages will be available to the users when they enter the course
    • if Administration Security Site policies Enable messaging system is set to No,
      • the dropdown list With selected users... does not display the Add/Send message option...

Conclusion, in response to the OP's question: it looks like is is not possible for an admin to e-mail all (or a selection of) users on a moodle site.

This looks like a bug. Helen (and others) what do you think?

In riposta a Joseph Rézeau

di Doug Bell -

Hello,

Is Joseph correct when he states:

At site level

• admin selects a number of users from Administration Users Accounts Bulk user actions
    • if Administration Security Site policies Enable messaging system is set to Yes,
      • the dropdown list With selected users... displays the Add/Send message option
      • those messages will be available to the users when they enter the course
    • if Administration Security Site policies Enable messaging system is set to No,
      • the dropdown list With selected users... does not display the Add/Send message option...

I would like the site level to email everyone i pick in the bulk action. He states above :

those messages will be available to the users when they enter the course

Is this correct or does it send it to their email address?

Thanks

Doug