Scheduler reminders sent again and again every ten minutes

Scheduler reminders sent again and again every ten minutes

by Jean-Luc Delghust -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,

we seem to be having a little problem with the scheduler on our Moodle install: the reminders are being sent every 10 minutes to the students. I can't find a way to turn off the reminders and can't really delete that scheduler right now.
Has anyone experiences this? Is it linked to the module only or to the cron?
I have not received any complaints about the other automatic emails.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JL
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean-Luc Delghust

Re: Scheduler reminders sent again and again every ten minutes

by Henning Bostelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
What's the console output of your cron job? Are there any error messages? (Run cron.php from the command line in order to see the output.)

Also, which version of the scheduler module are you using? In the version that's currently in the CVS, the reminder e-mails are not sent at all; see CONTRIB-1289. What are your modifications at that point?
In reply to Henning Bostelmann

by Jean-Luc Delghust -
Hi

first of all many thanks for the reply.

Not sure I can run the Cron.php, I have admin privileges to the website but no direct access to the database or the server. I'll get in touch with our system administrator tomorrow and ask him to have a look.

We're using version 2008061700 (or earlier, I seem to remember we had to tweak the version number to be able to backgrade to a working version of the module, but the info is on my PC at work) of the Scheduler on a Moodle 1.9.6+ install (Build: 20091104)
We just added a few lines of code as described in this thread to prevent admins to show up as needing an appointment. They still show up as possible Members of Staff though.

Just a thought: could it be linked to the fact that I'm also an admin of the site? I seem to remember there were issues with that, and none of my colleagues with regular teacher access have reported anything similar, but I'll have to ask them tomorrow.

I tested the news forums, other emails are sent normally.

We'll be upgrading to 1.9.7 soon, which version of Scheduler should I install and what's the direct link to the package? I'm never sure I download a version for 1.9 or 2.0...

At the moment, I'd rather have no reminders sent than one every 10 minutes (which is, incidentally, the duration of the slots)

That's all I can say now, thanks a lot for your help, if you have any idea about what else I should do
please let me know smile

++

by Henning Bostelmann -
Hi,

I don't know much about older versions of the scheduler; for the newer versions, the problem doesn't seem to arise.

Some remarks:
  • The latest 1.9 version of the scheduler is here:

but if you want to be very sure, you can take it directly from the CVS repository at

http://cvs.moodle.org/contrib/plugins/mod/scheduler/

(take the version tagged as MOODLE_19_STABLE).

• For the "admins show up as teachers" problem, see CONTRIB-1612. It's not yet fixed in the latest version in CVS, but there's a patch stored in the bug tracker. I think however that this problem is unrelated to e-mail reminders.
  • If you urgently want to disable the reminder e-mails, look for the following code snippet in "mod/scheduler/lib.php", and comment it out (or delete it):

= get_record, , >studentid;
  = get_string, .fullname.;
  .= get_string, .;
  .= ,>starttime.;
  .= get_string.;
  .= ,>starttime.;
  .= get_string.;
  .= ,>starttime  >duration  60.;
  .= get_string, .>appointmentlocation.;
 email_to_user, , ,

by Jean-Luc Delghust -
Hi

thanks for the info, sorry I didn't reply it's abusy end of term here. I've managed to get the latest version through cvs (had to learn how to, will definitely try learn more about it as it looks like a fantastic way to upgrade) but no luck applying the patch so far (I googled it, tried with tortoiseSVN but it crashes my Windows Explorer) as I need to send a complete package to my admin.

I think the problem was linked to the fact that I have an admin account, as my colleagues who set up reminders don't seem to have had that problem. I'll try upgrading to the latest version of the scheduler with patch then make a few tests...

Thanks again!

++

by Jean-Luc Delghust -
Hi,

just an update on the situation: we upgraded to 1.9.7 and installed the latest scheduler with the patches from CONTRIB-1612.
Everything seems to be working fine I just need to test the reminders on a number of students.

Thanks again for the help.

by Henning Bostelmann -
For anybody who experiences the same problem as Jean-Luc did (i.e., appointment reminders sent out over and over again): It turns out that this can be caused by a bug in the code, which is triggered if the field "Appointment Location" contains special characters, such as apostrophes. See CONTRIB-2264 and CONTRIB-1616 for details.

Henning