Copy and paste into chapter is deleting large part of document.

Copy and paste into chapter is deleting large part of document.

by Susie ORiley -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

I have a 12 page word document which I need to put into a new chapter. I have tried copy and paste, importing, saving the word doc as a web page and importing, nothing is working.

I understand that there can often be formatting issues, but is seems that the main issue for me is that it's chopping off a massive chunk of the document. I have tried many times, including pasting the remainder of the document after the initial save, but nothing is working.

I appreciate that it is not advised to use copy and paste, but for a 12 page doc complete with a load of tables, i'm sure you can understand that I don't want to retype it all. Also as mentioned, it seems that it's missing most of the document.

I should add, that after the copy and paste, the whole document can be seen in the editor, it's only when I hit save and view it that a large part of the document is missing.

Would really appreciate some ideas here as i'm pulling my hair out.

Thanks in advance,

Susie.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susie ORiley

Re: Copy and paste into chapter is deleting large part of document.

by Dennis Di Sarro -
Hi Susie,

I have had similar problems copying and pasting from a word doc. What I found out is that if your documented is formatted with heading, bullets, tables etc. It gets lost when pasted into the book. I solved this by simply un-formatting the document and pasting small amounts of text (paragraph at a time) then using the HTML editor in the book to reformat to my liking.

This seemed to solve the problem and the end product looked similar if not better then the original.

Hope this helps!

Dennis
In reply to Dennis Di Sarro

by Susie ORiley -

Thanks for the suggestion Dennis. Looks like i'll have to do that, which might be rather long winded. I have tables in my document, did you manage to copy and paste those OK ?.

Susie.

In reply to Susie ORiley

by Dennis Di Sarro -
Just use the HTML editor to add a table, then you can copy and past you content in the table.

Dennis
In reply to Susie ORiley

by John Andrewartha -
Susie,
The copy past works for tables. It retains the format OK. If you have a lot of pages maybe turning them into html and importing may make life easier. We need a way of importing documents and html is currently the only way.
I am totally addicted to Moodle books, do once, use often. Saving money makes the bean counters happy.
John
In reply to John Andrewartha

by Susie ORiley -

I am wondering whether there are patches for this module ?.

I tried all suggestions. When attempting to import I get an error, regardless of the file I attempt to try.

I have copied and pasted the text out of word, into notepad and back into moodle, then reformatted. This seemed OK, but it is failing when copying and pasting a table. Initially it looked OK, but then it seemed to lose a load of the formating in the table (we have cells a different colour). I am now wondering whether I could import the document as an image. Running out of idea's short of 100% recreating it in moodle which would take a considerable amount of time.

Susie.

In reply to Susie ORiley

by John Andrewartha -
Two things,
If you are copy past from Word you need to before saving use the delint button on the Moodle editor. Its the 'W' button. Word puts extra cruft in and that removes it.

Also make sure that the admin has turned on 'trusted user' it allows those with editing rights the ability to enter code with out having it cleansed. Students excluded.

If you are having trouble importing files, remember that any text file you bring in must have character encoding of UTF-8.

John
In reply to John Andrewartha

by Susie ORiley -

Thanks John. Using the "W" button worked. It stopped it being chopped off. Only issue now is there are no borders on the tables, or rather, the borders are random. I've tried creating new tables but they don't appear to be showing borders either ?.

It's much better than it was though, so thanks for your help.

Susie.