Certificate as view.php when saved.

Certificate as view.php when saved.

by pcOxygen Private -
Number of replies: 9

I have installed this certificate activity and it produces the certificate okay.  However, when clicking on the "save" icon in the tool-bar, it wants to save as view.php file.

How can we get this to save as a PDF file without the student having to change the file extension (from PHP tpo PDF)?

I have attached a screenshot.  Any help will be appreciated.

Attachment certificate.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to pcOxygen Private

Re: Certificate as view.php when saved.

by Iver Johnson -
You need to save with your embedded PDF reader's functions, not the browsers.
In reply to Iver Johnson

by pcOxygen Private -

Thanks Iver.  But that is what we're doing ... trying to save using the embedded PDF Reader's function (and not the browser).  When clicking on the print icon, it prints just fine, but when clicking on the save icon, the window pops up to "save as" and the default is "view.php".

The software isn't converting the page name (view.php) to a pdf name (eg., certificate.pdf).

Do you know what file I need to edit to change the tool bar settings where the Save icon is located?

Thanks.

by E. L. Cooper -
Even your screenshot says it is saving as a PDF so I am corn fused as to what the problem is. I don't get the filename of viewphp when I test it. I just get view. Maybe it is a browser or OS differance.;
In reply to E. L. Cooper

by pcOxygen Private -

If you'll look closer at the screenshot, it clearly says "view.php", even though the text BELOW it says PDF.  The issue is with THE FILE NAME.  Hello!

The file that saves will actually be a PDF file, but NAMED as a PHP file.  For example, if I save that file to desktop it will save as "view.php".  But I can then change the file extension to .pdf and it will open with Adobe Reader.  However, if I don't change the file name after saving, and then try to open it, the computer freaks out not knowing what to do with the PHP file extension.

Thus, please look once again at my screenshot and read what I'm writing.  You then won't be so "CORN FUSED".

Also, you don't get the file name [extension] when you test it is because you have to change your Windows settings to view common file extension types.  The Windows default is set to NOT show file extension name types.  As a responsible Systems Administrator I need to view common file extension types for reasons such as this.

by E. L. Cooper -

So it is a browser setting that is creating the odd message? Or is it a windows serverwhere you have the setting?

What you have given us is a screenshot that is occuring because of setting you have enabled.  When you save it  as view.php.pdf does this oddly named file appear and print as a correctly?

In reply to E. L. Cooper

by pcOxygen Private -

No, the problem isn't with a Browser setting.  I tried this using IE7, IE8, FF, Opera, and Chrome.  All the same result.

I'm not using a Windows server.  My Moodle is hosted on a Unix server with PHP version 5.2.1 with Apache.

You can see the "view" file name.  I encourage you (also) to go to Your Ceretificate, save Your Certificate to your desktop.  Right click the file, select properties.  The file properties will show you the complete file name.

In Microsoft Windows, by default all common file extension names are hidden.  Thus you will see "view" as opposed to "view.php"  The "PHP" is called the FILE EXTENSION.  This is where the problem lies.  THE FILE EXTENSION NAME in which Moodle saves the certificate.

After saving the certificate to you desktop, for example, I cant open it with Adobe reader because of the file extension name.  The extension name needs to be renamed to PDF.  Then, and only then, will Adobe Reader open the certificate.

by E. L. Cooper -

So you have your PC (nothing to do with moodle) set to show file extensions and that is why you have this issue. I understand you have your reasons for the setting but have students reported the issue you are seeing?

I have to tell you that I right click on the saved file and there is nothing about php in the properties general or details.  When I double click the file to open it opens with PDF 9.1

In reply to E. L. Cooper

by pcOxygen Private -

Have students reported the problem?  YES.  That is why I'm here posting this inquiry trying to find someone who knows how to fix it.

So unless you know how to fix the problem, please stop responding to this post.

by Asana Draper -

I just noticed we are having the exact same problem with file name defaulting to view.php.  Did you ever resolve this?