Bookmarks (yes once again)

Re: Bookmarks (yes once again)

by N Hansen -
Number of replies: 0
Jan-I've been giving this bookmark idea more thought myself. I like the bookmarklet tools that you and Tony developed, and your module in particular I know I will use in at least some of my courses, probably pretty much as is.

However, I feel that so far none of the solutions presented allow for anything more than passive consumption of the content of the pages that include the bookmarks. It would be nice, for example, if the bookmarklet tool could be used to insert bookmarks into a glossary, and put into specific categories within that glossary, just as Tony's tool allows one to add bookmarks to a specific topic in a course. The advantage of this is that it could allow for a variety of things to be done.

Teachers could allow students to add bookmarks to the glossary and to add them to the various categories, thereby creating a repository of bookmarks in various categories related to the course subject matter. This is more logical for learning purposes than each student having their own personal bookmarks they can share with the class. Their personal contributions could still be noted if the format of the glossary were to show the contributor.

Secondly, collecting them in a glossary, and enabling comments on the glossary item, would provide an opportunity for students to reflect more on what they read on the linked pages-it could even be an assignment that students post comments and this would ensure that they were reading what they were supposed to be reading.