Bullying - can we make an anonymous moodle course?

Bullying - can we make an anonymous moodle course?

by Oliver Williams -
Number of replies: 2

I have been approached by a high school student who would like to create an in-school resource for kids who are getting bullied.

I thought of moodle, but then realised that moodle would reveal who is who and those being bullied may not want to reveal who they are!

Is there any way of making a course in moodle anonymous?  We would want to include resources/links to the web, choices as well as forums and maybe chats. No assignments.

Any ideas? or is it a no-hoper?

Thanks,

Oliver (Hexham, UK)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Oliver Williams

Re: Bullying - can we make an anonymous moodle course?

by Tony Hursh -
Hi, Oliver.

How about letting them create secondary accounts using pseudonyms and quasi-anonymous email addresses (e.g., Hotmail or Yahoo mail)?

In reply to Oliver Williams

Re: Bullying - can we make an anonymous moodle course?

by N Hansen -
Just create fake names for the students in the course, and create separate logins for them separate from their usual Moodle logins, if Moodle is deployed already at the school.

Although if there is something that in itself makes people feel they can bully others on the Internet, it is the ability to be anonymous. I wonder if giving these students the ability to participate in such an anonymous way will just allow them to take out their frustration at being bullied by becoming cyber bullies themselves? I've just seen studies that show that people in real life who are shy often are the opposite on the Internet and vice versa, so I would set this up on a trial basis at first to see if it is of any benefit to the students who participate.

Good luck!