Hebrew exegesis with Moodle

Hebrew exegesis with Moodle

by chris engelsma -
Number of replies: 4
I am trying to teach Hebrew exegesis using Moodle. My goal is to have the class collaborate on one text. So I will provide them with a text and have each student do a different task. For example, student A would have the task of structuring the text, student B would have the task of translating the passage, student C would be charged with another task and so on.
I am trying to determine what tool would be best to do this. Would a forum be the way to set this up? Help me out here. thanks,
Average of ratings: -
In reply to chris engelsma

Re: Hebrew exegesis with Moodle

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Wow, Hebrew exegesis sounds pretty heavy. I am taking a course on Wisdom literature this semester and if I knew Hebrew it would have been very helpful. In any case, I wonder if the Wiki activity might be the most helpful where you could have the text and then create pages for translation, structure, etc. Multiple students could work on building up the wiki but at the end you would have a good reference for the students on a particular text. If you keep your students busy enough you could wind up with a rather impressive commentary! Peace - Anthony
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by chris engelsma -
There is the issue of typing Hebrew fonts. So far it can't be done in moodle. That makes it kinda difficult. Unless I could do a unicode font. ?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Moodle uses Unicode for all content.

Entering Hebrew content in Unicode and displaying it again are surely problems for the web browser and operating system you and your students are using.

by Paul Ganderton -
Hi Murray,

I agree with Anthony - interesting task, but we all know Moodle can rise to any occasion! As I was thinking about this an idea struck me. I agree the wiki is best but what is the end purpose of the task? Is it just to get students to work on the text or to make something more permanent and useful to a wider community? If the latter then it might be worthwhile using a book module and setting student permissions to allow them to edit it. Once completed the text could be used, you could add/edit etc. but newer students couldn't. I use forums extensively to promote discussion so it's always worthwhile having one. Students working on the text (in whatever module you choose) would have a chance to swap ideas and discuss details online without just changing the wiki/book where edits have no real discussion prior to the change i.e. it would promote collaboration in my opinion.

Hope this helps,

Paul
Average of ratings: Useful (1)