Allowing update after marking

Allowing update after marking

by Bob Rollins -
Number of replies: 5
I'm using advanced uploading of files.
Student uploads a file with an essay as a word document, submitting it for marking.
I mark with a numeric grade and by sending back a response document, typically an annotated version of their original.
I'm often happy for students to resubmit after marking to get an improved grade. But we can't see how students can submit a file after marking ... have we missed something? Is there an easy way to do this to develop something akin to a marking conversation following an assignment?
Thanks
DrBob
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bob Rollins

Re: Allowing update after marking

by barbara beckmeyer -
Actually I recommend that if you are working with students sending multiple files that you disable the "Enable Send for marking" or at least keep it disabled until you want them to submit the final submission because once they do submit using Send For Marking that is it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to barbara beckmeyer

by Bob Rollins -

Thanks Barbara,

I'd enabled 'end for marking' acidentally and couldn't work out what I'd done. Disabling it gives me the functionality I want.

In reply to Bob Rollins

by Gergely Tamási -
Hello Bob,

Unfortunately, the "advanced uploading of files" assignment does not have the built-in resubmission capability that the "upload a single file" assignment type does. The way I use it in my classes is that I allow students to delete their submissions (which is practical for a number of other reasons as well), and once they have done so, they can easily resubmit the corrected version. (In this case, it might be helpful to set e-mail notifications for teachers. But even if you do not, you will be able to see a fresh assignment just by looking at the grading page, with the "Grade" button highlighted.)

Alternatively, you might want to experiment with the Project activity module (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Project_module); however, I am afraid I do not have much experience with that.

I hope this helps.

Gergely
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gergely Tamási

by Bob Rollins -

Thanks Gergely,

I'm going with Barbara's suggestion for now but I'll take a look at 'Project' when I get time.

In reply to Bob Rollins

by Edwinna Lucyk -

Rob,

You can click the "Revert to Draft" button in the grading window but this would need to be done for each student.  If you do not want to cut off submissions after a certain number of drafts, I would probably follow one of the other suggestions and disable "send for marking".
Edwinna