Giving students feedback before a grade is given

Giving students feedback before a grade is given

by Steven A -
Number of replies: 6
Here's my situation. I use Advanced Uploading of Files with Send for marking enabled. And, hey, I try to be a nice guy, so if students want, they can upload their assignment early (in Word doc format), I'll have a look at it, and give them some preliminary feedback by uploading a response file (in Word doc format). This preliminary feedback obviously won't have a grade, just some tips or guidance before their final submission.

Now here's the tricky bit.

The problem is that without a grade, students do not have access to the response file. Enter a grade, and voila, students can see the response file.

It seems that there is something in the PHP that says, "If there is no grade, then the student cannot see the response file; if there *is* a grade, then students can see the response file."

I need the code to be written such that "grade or not, students can see the response file".

Does anyone know a hack for this?

You know, that little drop down list of grades has the choices:
No grade

If I leave the selection at "No grade", students can't see the response file, but selecting a grade allows them to see the file. I suppose I could give the students all "0/10" (or whatever) so that they can see their response files, but the shock of seeing "0" might cause some alarm. We're trying to avoid upsetting the students here. wink

Please don't suggest sharing files with students via another module or avenue. I want all of this "file sharing" for a particular assignment to be within the same assignment link. It's less clutter and easier for the students to find.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven A

Re: Giving students feedback before a grade is given

by Mark Guy -

Steven, I have also had this issue, I have also noted that If you give a grade, pupils can no longer upload new files.

regards

In reply to Steven A

by Alan Arnold -
how about a pseudo-grade in the pull-down list, say called "grade pending", that was treated like other grades inasmuch as it permitted the response file to be seen, but not like real grades if that prevents new response files to be uploaded?
In reply to Steven A

by Gary Anderson -

Stephen:

We might be able to suggest a patch but you need to let us know what version of Moodle you are using.

I make comments to my students all the time before assigning a grade -- I just write it as a standard comment; I don't upload a file.  That is (at least with the version of Moodle that we run) visible to students.  I was not aware that they could not also see attached files from teachers, but that seems to be a beneficial feature and am not sure there is an overwhelming reason to block it until a grade is assigned. 

--Gary

In reply to Gary Anderson

by Steven A -
@Mark
Not true for me on 1.9.5. I've assigned a grade (0/10 for lack of a better choice), provided a response file, and students can still delete their "draft" and upload a new file.

@Alan
Yep, thanks for the suggestion. Something like "grade pending" would be fine, but what I'd really like to see happen is just have the gradeless file released at the PHP level, without having to muck around with setting the grade to "pending".

@Gary
I'm using 1.9.5 here. I'm not sure there is a reason to block release of the response file either, and if the teacher really wanted to block all feedback (response file + grade), they could go into the gradebook and force hide it. I see no reason to have the response file hidden simply because there is no grade assigned to it yet. Conversely, I see a lot of benefit in being able to share documents with students via Advanced Uploading of Files before the deadline. Tracker?
In reply to Steven A

by Gary Anderson -

Steven:

You may want to post something in the tracker as then someone may tell you where to patch the code or we can see if there is a concensus to change the behavior for future versions.

However, I quickly checked my own server as it is the type of thing I would probably patch locally, however my students are able to see my respone files even if I have not assigned a grade, so I am not able to replicate the problem you describe.

So, we may want to see if others on this forum are having the problem, what combination of settings might produce it, and once that is know, putting soming in the tracker might help get it resolved, at least with a patch that you can make to your server, and perhaps for the future Moodle code base.

--Gary

In reply to Gary Anderson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I don't use Advanced uploading of files this way so I'm not sure, short of testing it out, how ours works, but if you are really keen to let them see your comments on their word doc without assigning a grade -then might it not be a workaround to hyperlink within the actual feedback text you give them to your uploaded,commented, word doc? That way their seeing it isn't dependent on any grade being assigned or not.