Can't backup anything! "Couldn't delete previous backup ids"

Can't backup anything! "Couldn't delete previous backup ids"

by Kasper Lauest -
Number of replies: 6

I suddently have a problem backing anything up or importing anthing from one course to another. I get the message "Couldn't delete previous backup ids" every single time. It used to work fine and I have not changed a thing since then. I'm the administrator of the system (a school system with around 800 users).

This is quite critical, so I hope someone has a solution. A search of "Couldn't delete previous backup ids" brought up nothing useful.

BTW, if I don't answer back it's because I very soon leave on a vacation. Would love to get this issue solved before then, but it is probably not realistic.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kasper Lauest

Re: Can't backup anything! "Couldn't delete previous backup ids"

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Kasper,

the only reason I can imagine for getting that message when executing backup is the "backup_ids" being corrupted or missing or something like that.

Surely, enabling debug in your site (Admin -> Server -> Debugging) could give you some more info about the cause causing your problems.

In any case I'd suggest you to check that the "backup_ids" table (don't forget it can have a prefix, like "mdl_" or so) exists and is ok (by executing one check/repair over it).

If that doesn't fix the problem, then we need more (the debug) information, as commented above.

Ciao smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Ang: Re: Can't backup anything! "Couldn't delete previous backup ids"

by Kasper Lauest -

Thanks Eloy, I'll try out your suggestions and see where it gets me! smiler

Ang: Re: Can't backup anything! "Couldn't delete previous backup ids"

by Kasper Lauest -
The mdl_backup_ids file is indeed currupted. Now I'm trying to figure out how to do the repair. Looking though mysql help files, but for someone who knows NOTHING about mysql, this is not easy reading. I still can't figure out where to write all the commands suggested.

Re: Ang: Re: Can't backup anything! "Couldn't delete previous backup ids"

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
That can be done easily both from command line and phpMyAdmin (in case you've it installed). Here you'll find one Moodle Docs article about:

How to check your database for corruption

Ciao smile

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Can't backup anything! "Couldn't delete previous backup ids"

by Kasper Lauest -
Amazing! It works! Thank you very much. I'm very grateful that you replied as I would probably have spend numerous hours reading through various help-files otherwise. stort grin

Re: Can't backup anything! "Couldn't delete previous backup ids"

by Drew Laughlin -
Same issue here, but this doesn't seem to fix everything. I've run the 'mysqlcheck' (which fixed a number of errors), however the following errors are still being reported. I've tried the 'REPAIR TABLE' command (both from a mysql prompt and phpMyAdmin) and this just prints out the errors again. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Table Op Msg_type Msg_text
moodle.mdl_backup_ids repair Error Table './moodle/mdl_backup_ids' is marked as crash...
moodle.mdl_backup_ids repair Error Table 'mdl_backup_ids' is marked as crashed and sh...
moodle.mdl_backup_ids repair status Table is already up to date