Moodle on Android

Moodle on Android

by Dean Stringer -
Number of replies: 20
Seems like this may have been a GSOC proposal initially but isn't listed on the Moodle GSOC page now. Does anyone know anything about the following project, how long its been running, when/if they have released anything to the broader community, if there are any English docs etc etc ...

android-moodle

The site is in Portuguese so the above link is to Google-translate which does a good job, but I cant see anywhere to be able to contact the project members.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dean Stringer

Re: Moodle on Android

by john attwood -
I've been waiting and waiting for this. Can't wait to test it out. It seems like it should go hand and hand with the Offline Google Gears Moodle that is being developed.
In reply to Dean Stringer

by Jean-Luc Delghust -

Seems like there is a Moodle app for Android, mPage (which also exists on iPhone). You can find it in the Android market. I'll be testing it out soon...

In reply to Jean-Luc Delghust

by Dale Davies -

Problem is it is a paid app (at least on Android Marketplace anyway).

I can't really recommend to all our students and teachers that they should pay for this app.  They should not have to pay to use our Student VLE and I can imagine if I asked them to I'd be told where to get off.

Of course this doesnt mean the dev should have to produce their work for free, I'm all for developers right to charge for apps, but I do feel a pricing model that would allow organisations to purchace licences would work better.

In reply to Dale Davies

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

MLE is a free module you could install to moodle.  It creates a consistent mobile experience no matter what type of phone you have and it works pretty well.  The aesthetics are ok, but what's more is that quiz function and most other modules all work with MLE.  I've been playing with it a lot and I am impressed.  Seems to be the most viable option for anyone seeking a one-size-fits-all solution that's free to install and requires no download purchase for end users via their mobiles.

http://mle.sourceforge.net

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Dale Davies -

Thanks Joseph, I'll test it out.

In reply to Dale Davies

by Paul Nicholls -

I'd be very interested to hear your experiences.  We're being pushed towards mobile, but will want to support as many devices as possible with minimal effort - so MLE sounds good from that perspective.  I thought about trying mage, but as you suggest, students aren't going to want to pay for it (even if I don't mind dropping a dollar or two on it).

Has anyone done any research on the security implications of mPage, given that it needs some specific conditions on the server - a "mobile" folder from them, plus JSON enabled and SSL disabled?  I haven't investigated how exactly it works, but I'd be hesitant to install it on a production environment without some thorough security checking...

In reply to Paul Nicholls

by Dale Davies -

I will be investigating this soon too, my initial thoughts were to roll our own mobile web based system.  Create a whole new frontend and authentication system that would basically be a cut down version of our full VLE system, accessing the Moodle DB.

However, I gather MLE does just that so and looks like it is extendable via an API, so I can create a frontend to match our VLE theme etc.

I too would love to hear from anybody who has had experience rolling some sort of mobile access out accross their institution (mPage, MLE or some other).

In reply to Dale Davies

by Carlos Kiyan Tsunami -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello

we were working with this solution

http://www.youtube.com/moodle4iphone#p/a/u/0/0p6JC-0I-9M

If I am not wrong, we have solved the issues that were highlighted at the video

Please read this link:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=152927

Greetings

Carlos

In reply to Carlos Kiyan Tsunami

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -

so is this ready for prime time? Do you have a link to a site for downloading? Awesome!

by Jean-Luc Delghust -

Thanks! as it's free, it looks like it's a better solution for mobile phones.. I'll test it out!

by Rick Henry -

Joseph,

Do you have plans to make MLE available for Moodle 2.x? I notice on your install instructions that it's not compatible with 2.x.

R.

In reply to Dale Davies

by chung wai man -

I am the worker who made mPage for my employer..

My boss targets to sell the product as a service package to those interested institudes..

However.. after seeing the social network movie..

I believe that risking by giving it free to public and build up reputation first would a better formula for success...

In reply to chung wai man

by Dave Emsley -

I agree with you.  I couldn't recommend a product to my institute that had not been tested beforehand. 

In reply to chung wai man

Ynt: Re: Moodle on Android

by Ali Ozgur -
We have developed recently mTouch-U, a universal mobile moodle app (web app), that supports most modern mobile devices. You can test it out from http://mtouch.pragmasql.com mTouch-U is an extension of our popular iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) app mTouch and mTouch+ NOTE: mTouch-U supports moodle 1.9.x for now but we are working on Moodle 2 support and plan to include this within couple of months as well.
In reply to Ali Ozgur

Re: Ynt: Re: Moodle on Android

by Greg Meckes -

What is the app called on android?

In reply to Greg Meckes

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

There are now three Android Apps and all available from the Google App Store, but I can't get any of them to work. One gives me nothing but a pretty, but blank, screen, mDroid, one tells me I have the wrong username and/or password, YCIS MI, and Moodle Mobile Beta, tells me that my Moodles do not exist. Thought I might hit with one of them... but alas...  And now I have an invesment in the technology, and I need it to work...

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Puneet Kala -

Hi,

I just wanted to ask one thing, is the Andriod Application work still pending? do we have a good android app for moodle? I was interested in making such app if not please let me know